How to unglue something without wrecking the wood

I got it done Lew. Thanks for our suggestions.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Totally agree.

The glue needs to get hot all over and all through all at the same time. That takes (here it comes again) PATIENCE ! ! !

A low heat applied for a long time.

Reply to
Morgans

I am redoing a sewing machine table and the top is glued together how do I get them apart to re finish them

Reply to
kennethwharris.1986

That depends upon the glue. In some/many cases you don't...you cut them apart and glue back together later. But why do you have to take it apart to refinish??

Reply to
dadiOH

open cubert glued together. Want to change botom to match counter top

Reply to
yvonnedubois462

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:d9523d02-9617-47a6-9f1b- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Heat sometimes works, but be careful as it's possible to damage the parts of the cabinets you want to keep nice.

You may need to put a new bottom over the old to change things.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well, Since it is just two boards, if your kitchen oven is wide enough, you could set it at 210º-215º F and leave there until the glue softens.

Reply to
Walter Riegler

Walter Riegler snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

How about a Steamer Box?

Yep, I know the thread is older than my cat. Just looked interesting.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It would probably work if the piece would fit. Most steamer boxes I have seen are long and narrow. My other concern would be whether the steam would warp the piece.

Reply to
Walter Riegler

That would likely depend on the glue used.

Steam for Hide glue.

Vinegar for modern water based glues.

Reply to
Leon

Whatever works best for the particular situation.

I've been working on a related case for the past 2 weeks. Background: 2016 flood affected a slat-back oak chair dining set. Dr. owner had a patient do the repairs, refinishing. The patient, I think, didn't know what all to do, what to do properly and/or should be done. Seems the chair seats had warped and started coming apart... several boards per seat. Chair frames had come apart to some extent, also. Since flood damaged, don't have to worry about messing up a finish.... re: heat gun use.

The guy tried to glue the boards back together without cleaning the edges or jointing them square, to mate properly. Lots of mold and mildew still on the board's edges. He ended up with gaps between the boards, then tried a white-ish filler to fill the gaps (on brown boards). *Subsequent stain on the chairs is Old Masters Provincial stain.

Beyond that, he seemed to not clean the stretchers for re-gluing into the legs. He shot wire nails in some, for further securing. He shot wire nails in some of the backrest slats, as well. I haven't/won't attempt to remove these nails.

I separated the seat boards using a heat gun. I worked the heat along the whole length and the boards slowly separated. Took about a hour each seat. On all 4 seats there were some glue lines that I sawed through, rather than using the heat gun. I flattened any major warping, then jointed the edges clean and square before gluing. Also added a strip of white oak to make up for removed seat width, from jointing and sawing.

Yesterday evening I put the first coat of finish on. 9 pics, scroll right.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny