How to unglue an old table top

I have an older 3 drawer cabinet that has a split part way through the top at the glue line. What is the best way to release the rest of that joint so I can clean it out and reglue it. I suspect it was done with hide glue. Most of the rest of the joints in the piece will need to be reglued because they are dried out, and have came apart.
Thanks!
ToolMiser said:

Well, you could put the hole mess into a sauna or steamy bathroom for a few hours and see what happens... ;-)
FWIW,
Greg G.
One of the advantages of hide glue is that it can be "unglued". A piece of cloth and a warm electric iron should do the trick. You will probably have to start at a corner and unglue one section at a time. Wetting the cloth so that it is damp will help to keep from getting the veneer and glue too hot. Overheated hide glue smells like....well, you will never forget it. For the sake of your marraige, I recommend buying an iron at a garage sale rather than using THE IRON. Start with low heat and increase until the glue softens. Good luck!

at
I can

of the

dried
"ToolMiser" wrote in message

at
I can

of the

dried
Short of the various methods of dissolving the glue, which others have suggested, on table tops and similar wide solid wood parts (chair seats, etc) it is often easier to rip to the affected glue line on a table saw, jointing if necessary, then re-glue.
If the piece lends itself to this method, it is generally a much faster, less visible, and stronger repair in the long run.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

at