How to unglue an old table top

I have an older 3 drawer cabinet that has a split part way through the top at the glue line. What is the best way to release the rest of that joint so I can clean it out and reglue it. I suspect it was done with hide glue. Most of the rest of the joints in the piece will need to be reglued because they are dried out, and have came apart.

Thanks!

Reply to
ToolMiser

Well, you could put the hole mess into a sauna or steamy bathroom for a few hours and see what happens... ;-)

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Reply to
Dave W

Short of the various methods of dissolving the glue, which others have suggested, on table tops and similar wide solid wood parts (chair seats, etc) it is often easier to rip to the affected glue line on a table saw, jointing if necessary, then re-glue.

If the piece lends itself to this method, it is generally a much faster, less visible, and stronger repair in the long run.

Reply to
Swingman

If you really need to unglue it as opposed to ripping, try some alcohol, assuming it is hide glue. You want the dry or anhydrous alcohol, not rubbing alcohol which has about 30% water. The alcohol will denature the proteins that comprise hide glue making them crystallize. The joint will just let go. You may have to tap it. The residual glue will not be a sticky goo but rather a solid hard mass. Vinegar can remove the mass along with a stiff brush.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron