How To Tell Red Oak Or White Oak

?pg=102

Was going thru an old copy of WoodenBoat, the only woodworking magazine I subscribe to. Found this article. A lot of interesting, little known, facts, and if you can't tell if you've got red or white oak after this, you need to stay away from using oak. When I googled, it was at the top of the page. Google first, ask here last.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

SonomaProducts.com

?pg=102>> Was going thru an old copy of WoodenBoat, the only woodworking

I was Googling that topic just yesterday. Another test (one I haven't tried yet) and billed as 100% reliable is to hit the wood with sodium nitrite as described in this FPL report:

importantly, I ran across something, which, if true, will mean I'll live forever. ;)

RicodJour

"RicodJour" wrote

fact that the drug companies haven't sent out their henchmen, or more likely, bought a congressman or two, to stop the research.

Reply to
Swingman

As repulsive a lot of the heavily processed foods are to me, I love a good ballpark frank on a bun. I really enjoy all kinds of sausage too. Some are true masterpieces of culinary creativity. My lawyer's brother owns and operates an Italian deli, and we've been known to sneak in there after hours with a bottle of wine and sample all the nifty sausages and cheeses. Some of those are not at all fatty, but sodium is through the roof. Damn, those Italians know how to eat. (not intended as a racial slur)(can't be too careful around here..LOL) I don't consider a real sausage as processed food...I know double standard, get over it.

Reply to
Robatoy

;)

Raised on Nathan's. That's what they served at the beach in New Rochelle, NY (Hudson Park?). Cost, IMS, 10 cents back then, fully loaded, though I liked then, and now, the basic tube with a stripe of brown sharp mustard down the center. Still the best tasting hot dog on earth (Hebrew National is about 1/500th of an inch behind). I used to get there with a quarter, pay a nickel to get in, and have a choice of two hot dogs and water to drink, or one hot dog and a Coke. I used to go with the water.

Reply to
Charlie Self

SFWIW, there is a program that runs on PBS from time too time that is devoted to the hot dog and all the variations of it that are served across the USA.

Very entertaining, especially if you like good finger food.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you want an arguement, change the subject.

Fresh, smoked, I like them all.

culinary creativity.

Absolutely.

Italians know how to eat. (not intended as a racial slur)

As for me, have a tough time deciding which cuisine I like best, Italian, Chinese or Greek. (Country French is OK, but can pass on the rest of it)

It's a tough job, but I keep working at it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My favorite part of that program is the hot dog factory. I just love that machine that de-skins the hot dogs and spits them out like a machine gun.

It is a very interesting program and shows a lot of cool hot dog places around the country. Would make a good travel circuit. Instead of wandering aimlessly around the country, try to hit all the hot dog places mentioned in the show. I have been to a few of them already.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Well, duh!

Everyone who lives in the strip from Philly to Boston knows that!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Even some of us who live elsewhere know that ;-)

I can recommend a couple of Italian eateries in Georgia where no one ever leaves hungry...

John

Reply to
John

Sabrett's DWDs deserve at least honorable mention.

Reply to
ROY!

There's some pretty good German cuisine as well. Lots of good German Wurst, and with good Saurkraut and german mustard, it is FANTASTIC.

Pensylvania Dutch is a subset of German - and perhaps my favourite.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

They moved south, from the northeast.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

SFWIW, have a P/D based recipe for potato soup that I modified.

If interested, contact me off list.

FAIR WARNING:

Bacon, 36% butterfat whipping cream, and butter are just some of the basic ingredients.

Strictly low calorie soup.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You can extend that at least as far south as Baltimore.

Reply to
Larry W

If this thread is any indication, maybe you should post some _recipes_ instead of this wood dorking stuff. ;)

RicodJour