How to sharpen a plane?

Page 2 of 2
JG wrote:

And nice, thick cap irons they are. I've got one on a #6 of mine, very slick. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
JG wrote:

Nope, plug. Still nice blades though.
Dave in Farfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

And don't forget the chip breakers; those are mighty fine, also ...
Regards, JT

That is a good price.I just looked at the reference and it fails to mention flattening the back.
That is where I start, by getting the back side really flat, using a coarse stone and following up with a finer stone.
If you thing about it the working end of that blade really needs to be a v not a u. Hard to show using plain text. I happen to use water stones but oil stones will work just as well. I do have a little eclipse honing guide which will give better results for having the same angle clear across. Anne

Rule of thumb with yard sales, flea markets, estate sales, even Sam's discount club:
If you like it the first time you see it, buy it. 9 times out of 10 when you go back to get it, someone else already has. (Sam's usually doesn't carry the same "special" more than once.) DAMHIKT.
-- I still can't understand people buying $30,000 trucks to haul their $15,000 boats, using $100 of gas, to catch $5 worth of fish.
Duke
John wrote:

Oh yes you do! :-)

If you are able to work reasonably well with the plane (or a chisel), then it *is* scary-sharp.
Carlos