How to remove wood veneer

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to remove wood veneer from an old cedar woodbox. Nothing fancy. It is too much work to sand it off, so I've been using a sharp 1" chisel, but it is really slow going. Is there an easier way to remove wood veneer (eg, by loosining the glue somehow)? Thanks,

-- Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Heat gun? That's what I would try first. It's tough to say since you don't really know what kind of glue was used, do you?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I don't really know, never had to do that, but be sure you know what the veneer is laid over. If it is laid over plywood, then consider what your method will do to underlaying veneers. Vinegar will react with some glues, but might also loosen the underlayment.

Heat and the chisel sounds safest to me. You could try a steam iron, and mist the veneer. Or just a heat gun. Actually, not removing it and veneering over the top sounds best, but I assume was not an option in this case.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Reply to
Dave W

If it's hide glue (and if it's old, then it will be) then damp heat will take it off. A wallpaper stripper is perfect.

It's easier if you don't want to keep the veneer. If you do want to keep the veneer, make up a fishtail nozzle (a bit of tinsmithing) and squirt under the edge of the veneer. Otherwise just blast through the surface of the veneer, which is slower, but allows you to do a large area at once. Turns the veneer into waffles though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley