How to remove the coating from a new router bit?

Page 1 of 2
What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery coating from a Whiteside router bit?
What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.

just me? If its not me, what causes that? If it is me, what causes that?
Anyhow, if it doesn't come off easily, I score it with a box cutter. Once you get a little going, everything else follows.
Sun, Oct 29, 2006, 1:11pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth burble: What's the safest, most efficient way to remove that thick rubbery coating from a Whiteside router bit? I figure it's there to protect the bit from damage during shipping but when it arrives, there's no note that says how to get it off so you can use the bit.
This is either a troll, or you lead a very sad life. When you go to a Chinese resturaunt, and get chopsticks in a little paper package, do you have to ask the waitress/waiter how to get them out?
Are you allowed to carry a pocket knife? What I do is just peel off a strip with MY pocket knife, and then pull the whole thing off with my fingers. Safest way? Most efficient way? Maybe not for you, but it is for me. Oh yeah, I figured that out all on my own, about 2 seconds after the first time I saw it.
Or, I suppose you could just leave it on, and let it wear off during use.
JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.
Hey, your mommy can cut it off with her tongue, I bet. Or just drool on it and let the acid work. Whoever raised you certainly didn't teach you to hide your feminine cattiness.
Who's sadder, a person who never owned a router before and has to ask basic questions or a guy who's so insanely hypercritical, he can't handle a question without working his own insecurities out in front of God, the world and everybody?
Keep it up, mommy will spank you. Again.
J T wrote:

Sun, Oct 29, 2006, 10:18pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth burble: Hey, your mommy can cut it off with her tongue, I bet. Or just drool on it and let the acid work. Whoever raised you certainly didn't teach you to hide your feminine cattiness. Who's sadder, a person who never owned a router before and has to ask basic questions or a guy who's so insanely hypercritical, he can't handle a question without working his own insecurities out in front of God, the world and everybody? Keep it up, mommy will spank you. Again.
ROTFLMAO You're so silly. You need to learn to think for yourself, like the rest of us do. Or, just stop trolling. You big silly, you.
JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.
doth burble: Hey, your mommy can cut it off with her tongue, I bet. Or just drool on it and let the acid work. Whoever raised you certainly didn't teach you to hide your feminine cattiness. Who's sadder, a person who never owned a router before and has to ask basic questions or a guy who's so insanely hypercritical, he can't handle a question without working his own insecurities out in front of God, the world and everybody? Keep it up, mommy will spank you. Again.
ROTFLMAO You're so silly. You need to learn to think for yourself, like the rest of us do. Or, just stop trolling. You big silly, you.
Be kind JOAT... at least ask him nicely to think for himself. Say "please" or something. Some people do have feelings ya know...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yeah, and all those sealed plastic bags, how do you get them open also? LOL
Pee it off.
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:14:34 GMT, "Leon"

Make sure you do NOT have the bit installed in a plugged-in router if you attempt this method.
--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact /

Won't the acid corrode it?
Leon wrote:

OK, I went out to try your method, and didn't get much to come off. Do you have any pictures showing exactly how this method is applied?
Hah!
; ^)
Robert

I'd post a picture but I would have to get too far back to get the "whole" picture. ;~)

...must be a style and rail set you're talking about...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Leon wrote:

oooooohhhhh. Impressive.
Chuckle.
If you are still following along here Leon, watcha workin' on these days?
Robert
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:11:04 -0800, remod2006 wrote:

You're supposed to take that stuff Off?
Uh oh.
;-]
Bill wrote:

Yes, unless its a "Vermont America" bit in which case removing the coating voids the warranty.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:51:01 +0000, Nova wrote:

Who are you kidding? A VA warranty doesn't extend past the cash register.
I was in Home Depot looking for a 5mm tap tonight. They didn't even have a VA tap. Now that's sad.
Fortunately for me, there's a Production Tool close enough to walk to ... which is precisely what I intend to do tomorrow afternoon.
Bill
Tue, Oct 31, 2006, 7:17am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@line.net (Bill) doth confess: <snip> I was in Home Depot <snip> Now that's sad.