how to remove....???

How can I remove a set screw (hex keyed) that has been somewhat rounded out by use of wrong size key? The screw is flush with the surface of the surrounding tool otherwise I would simply file a slot and remove it with a standard slotted screwdriver.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Woodman

Get a cheap set of easy-out screw extractors. If one of the set is too big, and one is too small, take the smaller one and cut off just enough so the threads can engage the hole.

Alternatively, if the setscrew head stripped, it is probably not hardened. If you drill through to the bottom, it will relieve the strain on the threads and you will probably be able to unscrew it fairly easily.

If it is a fairly small setscrew, I have also had success using JB Weld to glue a smaller allen wrench into the screw head. Let it dry for 8 hours and it should hold long enough to get it out.

Reply to
gw

If you have access to reverse rotation drill bits, you can use those in palce of the easy out. Just choose one that will fit inside of the thread diameter and drill away. The bit will probably "walk" the set screw right out as you try to drill it.

Otherwise, the easy out answer given by others is better.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:

Joe AutoDrill

try the easy way first... glue the (hopefully old) hex wrench in the set screw, let set for however your glue of choice recommends and try turning it out...

I've had some luck with using the next size up and tapering the edges a bit...

If the set screw has enough depth, drill and easy-out?

If all else fails, I've gotten a very rounded one out with the next size wrench up and a hand-powered impact wrench... (remember the ones that you hit with a hammer?) Mac

mac davis