How to reglue a rubber laptop foot

The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

Reply to
LurfysMa

Cyanoacrylate glues (Crazy Glue, etc.) work great for bonding rubber to rubber, rubber to steel or almost anything else. I would sand the surface of the rubber clean first. --- SJF

Reply to
SJF

nope. thats the best way i can think if too.

oops gotta go. cartoons are on....

randy

Reply to
xrongor

LurfysMa wrote in news:1115782461.9a70b8c7d3669f45359d11b06c5db394@teranews:

Hide glue, and a couple of brads 'til the glue dries.

Reply to
Patriarch

Throw them away, make new ones (snippets of mouse mat or wetsuit neoprene) that aren't already covered in glue residue. Then make them bigger, as this reduces the rolling and tearing action at the edge that tends to pull them off.

Then contact cement should work fine. Make sure it really is contact cement though - something like Evo-Stick 528 (neoprene in naptha), a cement that sets hard (if rubbery), not one that remains plasticised.

Clean the case too with a little acetone or isopropanol, to remove old glues.

And don't spill anything !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I like a good silicon calk, you can even use it to make new feet.

No matter what you use, you need all the old glue cleaned off.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just make sure those brads are long enough to get up into the motherboard!

babygrand

Reply to
babygrand

Another option... "weatherstripping glue" or sometimes called "trim adhesive" sold in auto parts stores for attaching, oddly enough, weatherstripping to doors and plastic trip pieces to cars. Strong stuff...

Reply to
Jack

Barge Cement. Nothing better...

Graves

Reply to
soundinmotiondj

Do you mean that silicon sealer that comes in a tube?

Is that sturdy enough to be a non-skid foot? I would think that it would wear away quickly.

Reply to
LurfysMa

That sounds like an possibility, thanks.

Reply to
LurfysMa

I think you are right. I'll just junk the tiny pads that fit into those tiny little indendations and put a husky rubber foot on each corner.

Reply to
LurfysMa

Just what are you _doing_ to this poor laptop ? it's not a skateboard!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Is acetone better than products like DeGunk or Goof-Off?

Been there, done that, went to the dog house. ;-)

Reply to
LurfysMa

C'mon. It's a laptop. It sits on the desk and gets moved around a bit.

Reply to
LurfysMa

If you have "glue remover" to hand, then use that first. Then try isopropanol, then methylated spirit (ethanol/methanol), then acetone. Then you're into solvents which will probably damage the paint on the case, so you need to work with a cotton bud on a stick, not a cloth.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've had the same problem - I only have one rubber foot left, but I glued it on with Titebond Polyurethane (like Gorilla glue?) and it seems to be holding fine (tho it's only been a month). I used goo-gone, then ethanol on both surfaces first, and scratched them up and moistened them slightly, then clamped on the foot with the polyurethane glue.

LurfysMa wrote:

Reply to
Andy

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I found some little silicon stick-on buttons at the hardware store. They are hemispheres about 3/8" in diameter. Works perfectly.

Reply to
LurfysMa