How to refinish plywood floor

Is there a recommended way to refinish a plywood floor? The workshop on the corner of my lot was built in the early '40s and has a plywood floor. I cleaned it as preparation for painting and it looks pretty good in many places, so I'm wondering if there's anyway to finish it as though it was hardwood. I might rent a floor sander but don't know what to expect since it is plywood: I can imagine going through every ply, trying to get a smooth surface. A complete waste of time?

You might want to take a "core sample" somewhere. If it's 1940's plywood, it could be really good stuff, with quality material in each layer.
Puckdropper

"William Andersen" wrote:
> Is there a recommended way to refinish a plywood floor?

has a

many
was
I'd patch any damaged areas then paint with a goods oil based porch and floor enamel along with the proper primer.
That's assuming you can find good oil based P&F these days.
Lew

Agreed. And or use an epoxy garage floor paint and roll it on.
Thanks for suggesting the epoxy - I never thought of that. My original intent was to clean the floor and paint it so that it would be clean, and also to brighten the place up a bit. When I scrubbed one section, the wood was a beautiful golden color. That's when I wondered if there was any way to attempt refinishing plywood: some sections are just dirty, others have been painted with different colors and types of paint over the years. I think I'll try a light sanding - it will at least remove some dirt. I had originally thought of varnishing it, if it looks nice, instead of painting it. But, I think the epoxy will be a better idea than varnish: more durable and available in lighter colors.