How to read Raised Panel measurements?

I am having trouble understanding how to read the measurements from varies brand router bits.

Below is for CMT

is for Freud:

there's more, but for the sake to keep this short.

As much I understand raised panel routering, I look for the rail/stile depth, that's it (for now). You know, it's either 3/8" or 7/16". But when I look for that in their rail/stile set webpages, I can't locate those depth measurements. I even sometime try arithmetic using other measurements provided, IF ANY, then add or subtract, still doesn't give me the groove depth. Example for CMT rail/stile (891.502.11), the "R" is 25/64", what is that?

There's "overall diameter", "overall length", "large/small radius", and few other terminology. Is there a link **with drawings** that can explain what terminology means and how the measurements go about? Forgive me for not google it before expressing in here... :(

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

I did a search on google and couldn't find anything. I tried keywords like "router bit" chart, list, compare, etc... nothing came up for me?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

The "R" is radius...I assume w/ that size it would refer to the radius of a quarter bead on the panel...

Dimensions for the cutters regarding the material are simply the cutting height--that tells you what thickness of door rail/stile material they're suitable for. Typical cabinet doors are 3/4" w/ a 1/4" groove for the panel. This is determined by the grooving cutter.

I've not looked at many sites that don't have profile drawings w/ pertinent dimensions...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

OK, however, different brands have different sizes (of course). Example, rail/stile, Whiteside will have steeper bend (shorter), while some others have longer bend. Also, for the raised panels, some are wider (and shallow) or short (and steeper). Yes, speaking for the same thickness, slightly different slopes.

Or is it me being too picky?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Choose a profile you like and go for it...what earthly difference does it make what various brands are relative to each other? You buy the matched set for the cove and cope cuts and that's all you have to worry over. All the rest is aesthetics and price point. Only other real consideration on overall major diameter is whether your router base can handle it or not and, of course you start needing hefty power to spin those big honkers...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth