How to Price Used Contractor Saw

Group,
I have a 2001 Delta 10" Contractor Saw I'd like to sell. It's in great condition, as I'm only selling it to upgrade. It has no upgrades (30" orig fence, steel wings, etc.). The problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to price it. Do these saws hold their value?
I don't think shipping is an option because estimates seem to indicate it would cost around $200 (per an ABF Freight estimate). So I'd like to sell it locally (Phoenix area), where I could even deliver it to the buyer if necessary.
-Mike
Typically, used merchandise is sold at around half the original price. If your saw is in excellent condition, you can try to get more.
--
Kevin
-=#=-

"Mike Pio" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:02:42 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"

I priced my 6 year old Jet CS at half of new. It sold in _2 hours_ out of a local bargain shopper paper / website.
One can *always* lower the price of the calls don't come!
Barry

Similar questions to this one have come here a bunch recently. In reply to this type of question, FWIW, I offer these comments:
IMO, there has been no better time for data access to market prices for used "consumer" goods. One approach is to look in the local paper/penny-saver/etc. to see what else is being offered and at what price. Also, you can check a local pawn shop. For a broader idea merely a few clicks away, check ebay and do an advanced search for "Completed listings only" -- i.e., sales that have gone through. There is a check box for this on the page you get to by clicking on "search" and then "more search options". Here is a link: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ1QQsofocusZbsQQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsspagenameZhQ3AhQ3AfitemQ3AUSQQsofindtypeZ0QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0 (watch wrap). When you find one that looks comparable, be sure to look at the price the product sold for (or note that it did not sell because of too-high a "reserve"/initial price or simply no interest) as well as S&H costs.
Note that even ebay allows you to essentially sell local - many auctions for heavy/large items indicate that an item must be picked up -- i.e., no shipping.
All this being said, asking here how much one is likely to get for a used saw (Kevin replied to that) can help one decide whether or not it is worth selling -- i.e., maybe for such a low price you'd want to keep the thing as a "spare" or give it away to a friend/school/community group.
Another approach, I suppose, is to put up a local ad, list the price you'd like to get, and then add "or best offer" (OBO).
In short, it is akin to one asking "How much is my house worth?" It is "worth" what someone is willing and able to pay. To get an advance idea as to what that might be, "comparables" are researched.
HTH. -- Igor.
Start at 50% and go up "slightly" for any major add-ons, since you got "none", 50% is a fair number.
Mike Pio wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:20:47 GMT, Pat Barber

really worth selling for what your going to get out of it. You might decide (if you have the space) to keep it and use it as a dedicated machine for specific operations. (dadoes etc.) Just a thought. I've seen our company go through several of the portable job site TS's and it always makes me think "these saws are nearly as much money as a good contractors saw". Personally I think they're overpriced when compared to a Contractors Saw. You pay for portability.