How to price miter saw for sale

Hello,

I have a 12" Porter Cable 3802 miter saw I want to sell (no laser)

It's about 4 years old with moderate use. I'm trying to figure out how to price it. Found 2 on EBay for around $100, but that's just two examples. Does this figure seem about right?

TIA

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pio

I can think of no better way to determine the fair market value of an item than to see what it sells for in an open auction. To find two examples of exactly the same item selling recently for about the same price is about as good as it gets.

Reply to
Roy Smith

The only thing I'd add is that you need decide if you're selling it locally vs. having it shipped. If I'm buying something off eBay, I'd take into account the cost of shipping, especially for something like a power tool. IMHO, $100 is cheap for that saw. Any chance you're up in Canada? :)

Cl> > I have a 12" Porter Cable 3802 miter saw I want to sell (no laser)

Reply to
Clint

Auctions on items difficult to ship don't mean much. Used woodworking equipment usually goes, in newspaper ads, for about half of the new price.

Reply to
toller

What's replacement cost as starting point? If in good shape, I'd start at from 60-80%. If it's too high for the market, it won't sell--you can always come down, it's hard to recover if you initially set price too low.

Of course, a lot is dependent on whether this is a "forced" sale or not. I've also heard stories of a lot of such tools on eBay actually being fenced goods so prices are low to move the goods. How much truth if any is behind the allegations I have no way to judge...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

No, sorry, I'm in Phoenix, AZ! Thanks for the opinion, though. If I sell it on Ebay, I may have to give it away cheap. But that would kill me because I've taken very good care of this tool.

Reply to
Mike Pio