How to price a wine rack (Kedco KM series 24"x 46 3/8" x 38 7/8")

I am scoping out buying a custom made or existing wine rack similar to the Kedco KM series 24"x 46 3/8" x 38 7/8" which is shown here:

've already called Kedco who will be giving me a spec - but where do you guys go for second sourcing so you know if the price is right?

What should I expect to pay for two of these wine racks if I have them custom built?

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Here's a better picture closeup of the construction & materials:

this closer closeup shows how the wood cross member is shaped:
shows what the entire rack would look like when done:
idea what this would cost to have built?

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

The plan is kind of vague. It looks more like a store bought than custom (to me) Most cabinet shops would be able to build this type of thing but not all would be interested in doing work like that. Find a smaller shop and you should be able to get a second price. Of course expect a custom version of a store bought type to be a 3x as much, et least.

Maybe look at

or some of the other

8,390,000 (literally) results from a Google "wine racks" search.
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Good detail. This is a really specific design. It includes metal work. This type of thing is afforadble when mass produced but doing one-off it will be hard to find someone with the right skills and to get at a decent price.

I did my typical quick take off. I see about $250+ in materials 20+ hrs of wood and metal labor and I would round up to 30 to be sure. If I get $50 hr shop time + 30% profit I am at $2,275

Detail: Wood material =3D 18bf @ $6 per

Wood labor in hrs Prep wood 2 Rip wood 1 chamfer wood 2 End kerfs 2 Sand 2 Finish 4

Metal material Guess $150

Metal labor cut metal 2 cut lap kerfs in metal 2 Prep and paint 2

Project completion Assemble 3

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I think this is a SketchUp of the Kedco KM. I didn't open the download:

Sonny

That looks pretty similar!

It's hard to tell for sure, since it's just a diagram.

Here's a side view:

here's a front view:
key is pricing out what it 'should' cost!

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Thank you for the quick response and analysis. Your breakdown is a very good estimate. The finished cross members would be probably from a 5/4" and net out 1 1/16" x 1 1/16".

I'm concerned with the "x" cuts on the end of the pieces.

Here's a closup of the X cuts:

's another view of the x-cuts from overhead:
They need to be cut exact so they flush out with the metal. How would you make the cuts on the end of the pieces. Would you use a small table saw. Is that the best way or is it too dangerous to cut it standing up?

Also, someone suggested either anodized or powder coated aluminum. They feel that spray paint would eventually wear off.

Which way do you guys suggest?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

RE: Subject

Anything under $3K and you stole it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

These photos are for a Kedco Brand called KM Series Wine Merchandiser.

should have a price quote for me by Monday. Do you have an idea of who can second source this exact model?

BTW, what wood does this look like to you?

'm thinking it looks like Basswood stained to a Cherry color.

If I have it built myself, and since it's only about 18 BF, it might even pay to go with a different wood that has a darker/richer look. The better wood may offset the extra staining labor.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:49:23 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote (in article ):

I agree with SP on his detailed breakdown. Nothing to the construction looks difficult, just very repetitive cuts. Fixtures for the crosscuts and batch slotting the metal would speed the process significantly although I think the metal work would take longer in the Prep-n-Paint stage.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I agree. (Double that maybe?)

Reply to
Robatoy

I think the aluminum in the front is anodized (gold or black).

And, in the back, it's just metal wire cross members that are not visible from the front so they are NOT anodized.

I've never anodized anything. Do you think paint would stay on over time?

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

The X cuts would be easy with a tenoning jig or some similar dedicated hand built jig.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Just saw your posting - we owned a wine store and still have 4 of the Kedco racks to which you are referring. If you are interested, please respond to this post.

Reply to
actrape