How to position/hold furntiure while stainging

Ok.. now that the furniture is clean of dust.. I should say I am making a bed. Mission style. Headboard/footboard, side rails. I am use a gel stain. How do I position say the headboard so I stain everything evenly. Doesn't seem like putting it on my sawhorses even though they are clean is a good idea. It seems like that would mess up the finish. I could say, stand the headboard on its legs and stain it... just not sure what is the *right* way here..
thanks
If the back doesn't have to be PERFECT, just set some nails part way into some boards. Stain the back first, wipe off, and then flip it over onto the nails and then stain the front and sides.
Dave
Stacey wrote:

I meant screws, but nails will work too.
Dave
David wrote:

1. ) Screw eye bolts into the bottoms of the legs and hang them upside down.
-or-
2.) Screw square plywood feet to the legs so they stand on their own.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of other suggestions!
Barry

If you are using a gel stain, dust or positioning should not matter. I use gel stains and because you are suppose to wipe the excess off as you go there surface will typically be dry to touch with in 3 or 4 minutes of wiping off the excess. After staining I immediately set the pieces down on pieces of scrap wood. Practice on a few scrap pieces to determine how much care you will need to take.