how to poly windows?

I am in the process of applying polyurethane to some new windows. The instructions call to apply poly onto the glass by about 1/16" in order to form an airtight seal. In case anyone is wondering, doing this with any accuracy is almost impossible. Can the excess poly be removed from the glass using a razor etc once it cures?
Thanks
Use some masking tape.....

Bob S. wrote:

Waste of time and money. Lay on paint with a loaded brush, then scrape the edges with a razor blade like a real painter would.

Bob S. wrote:

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." writes:

Depends on the tape.
Blue tape does well, the cheap tan stuff doesn't.
--
Lew

Hey there Rev., I just did a kitchen window using the 3M Blue tape and it worked well. Just because you can paint a straight line doesn't mean everyone else can. After it dries and you go back with a razor blade, you also break the seal he wants.
I placed the tape on the glass and after the poly dried, I used a razor blade to score the poly along the tape line then gently pulled the tape up so it was being pulled at almost a right angle away from the window frame. This left a nice clean edge all around.
There are several products he can use, tape, liquid tape etc. that are available - I suggested tape since it worked fine for me and was not a waste of time or money.
Bob S.

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome