How to paint Checker board pattern

I am making a few crokinole boards for Christmas presents and would like to put a checker board pattern on the reverse side. As this is a minor feature I cannot spend a lot of time on it but would like something that looks decent. Ideas and techniques would be appreciated. Thanks, JG

Reply to
JGS

What's "crokinole" ?

Anyway, a cheap, easy way to make a checkerboard is to cut shallow kerfs into the board, then mask off and stain every other square. I used the technique on this:

've never made one of these where I couldn't let my cuts determine the final size of the board, so you might have some extra work to do figuring out how to make it come out right.

The basic idea is to make a spacer strip the width of your squares *plus* the width of your blade's kerf. Set for a shallow cut. Put the spacer against the blade, and set the fence.

Mark a corner with one side A and one side B. Run the A side through. Run the B side through and then turn off the saw. Run the B side back through, and hold it down. Now butt your spacer against the edge of the board and re-set the fence. Repeat. The last cuts are through cuts if you can afford that luxury, so you wind up with a precisely dimensioned board.

If you can't afford that luxury, then you'll have to modify this technique somehow. The boards look respectable though, if not great. I did it again to make a walnut checker box (with another pine top from the same source as the stuff I used on the chess box) that looks even better. My next such project will be a real board though.

Reply to
Silvan

Masking tape and a good square.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Run a marking knife groove between the squares, especially across the grain - it stops the stain travelling along the fibres by capillary action.

Andy Dingley

Just get a pint of "Checkerboard" paint. It should be in-between the striped paint and the pokadot paint. ;-)

Reply to
Sam Soltan