How to make this profile?

Reply to
David

Not too hard to make a contoured scraper for finishing.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I don't have a shaper and probably wouldn't be interested in the expense of a custom cutter anyway. But, my backup plan is to use a saw to remove most of the waste material with one or two cuts, then use a hand plane followed by sanding. ========================================================================= Plane to rough shape them grind a scraper to fit. It will give you the same profile all the way down, unlike sanding.

Reply to
CW

+1

A technique used by old time wooden mold makers in industries like glass blowing.

Reply to
Swingman

Another good suggestion. I have an old scraper that could be sacrificed if needed.

Reply to
David

As AR as I am wont to be, I'm probably the last guy to be saying this, but handmade items to NOT need to look like they came from a cookie cutter.

A bit of imperfection adds to the beauty ... justification for the "beauty mark", applied in the days of yore, of women's makeup. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

I made a bridge fixture to test the concept and it looks very promising. Photos here:

?s=1ofBuWJ0RVElb7nbou2NRY
result will still require a bit of sanding but the basic contour appears to be repeatable.

This attempt was a proof of concept rather than a finished fixture so please bear in mind when evaluating the crude appearance. The first photo shows the bridge where the router rides on its surface and mills the contour on the workpiece below. The workpiece moves from left to right rather than the fixture moving. The second photo is a side view which shows the approximately 20" radius countour of the bridge. The third photo shows the contour cut into the top of the test workpiece. The next step is to make an improved version of the fixture where the contour is more precisely cut and is better centered over the workpiece slot.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Every one was appreciated.

Reply to
David

Where there's a will, there's a way ...

Good work.

Reply to
Swingman

-------------------------------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ When you get book, find Fig: 5-42, "Geometric layout for any camber".

Provides a good gamber for your top.

----------------------------------------------------------- As I said, I'm strictly a Normite, but this IMHO, is strictly hand work.

will show commercial long boards available from Jamestown Distributors.

I made mine using plywood and rubber cement to hold sandpaper strips.

A 4' x 36" rigid board should do a good job (1/2" plywood) of cleaning up surface.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett