How to make this profile?

Page 2 of 2
Make a mold. Line it with 80 grit and sand that right off.
JP *********************** Me? Shaper/knife.
Good suggestion. I'll keep that in mind and use it if it's needed to true up the final contour.

On 11/27/2012 6:41 PM, David wrote:

As AR as I am wont to be, I'm probably the last guy to be saying this, but handmade items to NOT need to look like they came from a cookie cutter.
A bit of imperfection adds to the beauty ... justification for the "beauty mark", applied in the days of yore, of women's makeup. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/27/2012 12:05 AM, David wrote:

I would just handplane that radius
On 11/27/2012 5:49 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

To handplane just take a marking gauge cut the 1/8 line on the edges. Chamfer to that 1/8 line then smooth from where you want it to start to that chamfer.. much faster than you'd expect.. its a mild radius
On Nov 27, 6:23pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Not too hard to make a contoured scraper for finishing.
On 11/27/2012 11:13 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

+1
A technique used by old time wooden mold makers in industries like glass blowing.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
I made a bridge fixture to test the concept and it looks very promising. Photos here: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=kdjQE4BVQn8kfXniMQlq8w https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=1ofBuWJ0RVElb7nbou2NRY https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s k5yyXPSq8gcl0LwxIkOk The result will still require a bit of sanding but the basic contour appears to be repeatable.
This attempt was a proof of concept rather than a finished fixture so please bear in mind when evaluating the crude appearance. The first photo shows the bridge where the router rides on its surface and mills the contour on the workpiece below. The workpiece moves from left to right rather than the fixture moving. The second photo is a side view which shows the approximately 20" radius countour of the bridge. The third photo shows the contour cut into the top of the test workpiece. The next step is to make an improved version of the fixture where the contour is more precisely cut and is better centered over the workpiece slot.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Every one was appreciated.

On 11/28/2012 3:21 PM, David wrote:

Where there's a will, there's a way ...
Good work.