How to make SIPS or stress skin panels.

Has anyone here made their own stress skin panels?
I've just done a microgoogle and it appears you could glue a sheet of eps between osb, slip it into a vacuum bag and have yourself a SIP. Am I missing anything?
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

OK.
The big question:
Why do you want to do this?
Do you have something against manufactured SIPS?
Gus wrote:

No. I've just heard they're very expensive.
JP
> > Do you have something against manufactured SIPS?

I think quite the contrary, I looked VERY hard at using them for a new shop that goes up in about 3 more weeks.
After you factor in the labor savings since they go up so fast, the superior insulation qualities, and that you can just paint the inside in some locals, or put drywall on if that's required, you are pretty much done.
Locally I could NOT find a builder that knew what i was talking about, and especially one that would build with them. I received 4 quotes from manufactures, not one of them had a builder in my area.
I also wrote the www.sips.org, and never heard from a builder.
Alan
arw01 wrote:

In New Jersey, at Bull's Island Recreation area, they built a new Visitor Center from SIPS a couple of years ago.
Perhaps you could find out what builder they used?

I went and looked. It would be nice if someone referring to a relatively new product would call it by name the first reference to it instead of xyz or whatever.
BTW, I never got to the specs at that site because they asked for my agreement to a long list of crap and I left. I get enough spam. :)

Agree
I was wondering if they could be used to build a small and simple A frame?
think so?
arw01 wrote:

Yes, that's the appeal. I'm assuming those cost savings will ensue whether I buy them or build them myself. Is that a valid assumption?
JP
On 24 Jul 2006 11:09:06 -0700, "Jay Pique"

I have seen some SIPs that had drywall as the inside panel so it was ready to tape after being nailed in place.
The APA (American Plywood Assoc., I think..) publishes pdf documents that contain all the info required to build and test your own panels as well as box beams, site built gluelams, etc. Most of the info is free. Joe.
Joe Brophy wrote:

That's a great way to do it. It's gotta be a time saver.

Thanks, Joe.
JP

The engineering approvals, etc required for construction?
Lee Michaels wrote:

Isn't a SIP a SIP? Or does each individual brand need to be tested and sanctioned by some authority? That's a good question you ask.
JP
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/How-to-make-SIPS-or-stress-skin-panels-111253-.htm jmnpjn wrote: -------------------------------------
Very difficult to find info as most producers consider what they have as "propitiatory" lol. Give thought as to how you want the panels to tongue and groove together, research what foam is suited to sandwich between what medium you want. Doesn't have to be same on front and back sides. Come up with a jig to produce all panels the same +/- 1/16 inch. Not necessary to vacuum panels together tho that would be one way. stack and weight panels until cured or squeeze vertically.