How to make painted OSB look halfway decent?

That's what I figured. I remember working with the stuff in the late

80s and early 90s and it was pretty nasty. The OSB that's out now is much different. It's still OSB, so it is what it is. But I've found it to be much improved over the stuff from 25 years ago.

If you ever run across Advantech or Norbord Truflor, check them out. They are very advanced OSB subflooring sheets and are great to work with and strong as an ox. Also, they are very water resistant.

Reply to
-MIKE-

So for flooring the companies that make the mortar, or glues do not recommend OSB under any tile, or stone. There has to be a reason.

But I would probably agree that the product has changed, but that doesn't help my problem of it being CRAP. It won't even hold a screw, it just flakes away... garbage. Have you been following the AZEK suits. The product is quickly failing in many locations.. yes there are many sucesses too. The problem is where it is failing. The company says we don't guarantee the look, but the product is cracking, chalking, etc... why would you buy a product that in less than a year is failing. Same with the OLD OSB.. it's crap.. that I will pay 4 times for. I have already started replacing sheathing. I have aluminum siding. So I have to replace sheathing, wrap, siding... And who's to pay.. I don't have that problem with PLY. Are the manufacturers going to pay... hell no. They sell it and walk away...

Reply to
woodchucker

This^

... big fan of Advantech for subfloors, particularly over crawlspaces:

Swingman

You shouldn't put tile down over any wood product. Period. That's what cement board is for. I use Schluter-DITRA between sub-floor and tile and will never use cement board again.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Pretty much how I feel about OSB as well. As a builder, I will not use OSB for sheathing or roof decking, period.

Reply to
Swingman

Oooooh, how I love floor trusses!

Reply to
-MIKE-

I guess wee need to specify what we're talking about because technically Advantech is an Oriented Strand Board, no?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Again, the idiots that built my house thought it was a good subfloor. Go figure. Did the OSB manufacturers back then advertise it as such?

Reply to
woodchucker

I particularly love them myself, a thing of beauty and functionality when they are done to precision.

Reply to
Swingman

Amen ...

Great product, not always handy when "we need two more rolls" is heard, a bit pricy for some budgets, but worth it when buildup of layers between floors is an issue.

Reply to
Swingman

And still do. Builder's use it for one main reason ... it's cheaper than alternative products.

Reply to
Swingman

Technically ... like a Maserati is an automobile. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

And no plumbers cutting 6" holes in a 10" joist. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

If you were to in any way compare OSB and Advantec (engineered subfloor composite board) I would argue most strenuously. They are not the same product. Not even close. In the first place, OSB is made cheaply to cover large areas economically, where strength is not key. The engineered subfloor is very strong, and used because it does not suffer from delaminating and voids as modern plywood seems to suffer. It is also quite expensive, in comparison to OSB.

Advantec is still not to be used under tile because no wood is rated for direct contact with masonry unless is is treated, and Advantec is not. Wood also does not have the same coefficients of expansion as tile, and therefore is not a good choice of material for bonding to masonry. Advantec, however, shows very little signs of swelling or coming apart in flakes when exposed to the weather, even for long periods of time. I have seen it weather for nearly a year with very little changes other than discoloration.

Reply to
Morgans

I think we've had this discussion before, but around here the big-boxers are carrying it now, with better prices and availability.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, but they put it under slate in the entry way. So it's all cracking. I already partially repaired it once b4, it's still continuing, so at some time I will lift and replace the whole area and figure what we'll put down after. If tile or stone I'll use cement board.. but I am about to do my kitchen floor, removing the subfloor and putting cement board down there.

The wife does not want to upgrade the kitchen, only the floor, which I think is a mistake... might as well do it all, but SWMBO rules... a happy wife.....

Reply to
woodchucker

"woodchucker" wrote

Let me guess. A laver of 1/2" OSB applied to the joists or trusses, then 5 /8" MDF underlayment (sawdust board)?

That was a popular cheap way to do it back then. I never liked it, and never did it that way.

Reply to
Morgans

As I mentioned to Karl, they are all Oriented Strand Board. As he said, a Maserati is an automobile, too. So it a Buick. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, you are entirely correct they are not the same product.

That said, Advantech is indeed technically an "oriented strand board" (OSB) product in the way it is manufactured, just like both are technically "plywood".

But what a difference ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

The downside is that in a fire they fail far quicker than dimension lumber...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin