How to make painted OSB look halfway decent?

What's the secret to painting OSB so that it doesn't look like painted OSB? It doesn't have to be great, just not so cheap-looking.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

Well, if it's got to be OSB, and assuming it is for indoor use, skim coat it with drywall joint compound and sand smooth... then prime and paint.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Michael, I use OSB everywhere in my huge shop. Skim coat with drywall compound is extremely fast and you save lots of money on paint. My guess is that it takes about 3 times as much paint to do nude OSB. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

The secret is buying sanded, maple, or birch ply. There is no way to make a rough surface look good.

It's like how to I take a piece of crap and turn it into gold... you just can't do it.

OSB is an awful material in my opinion. It rots real quickly, it doesn't hold nails or screws real well.

It's been misused by builders over and over. My slate floor was laid on top of it... The builder was an idiot.

And that's how I feel about it... :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

Indoors or outdoors? If outdoors stucco. If indoors a hopper gun and mud.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

RE: Subject

What is the old saying about making a silk purse from a pig's ear?

You can't get there from here.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I should have been more specific. Outdoor. But as Mike says, maybe I should just use a decent ply.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

The secret is to NOT paint OSB, only stain, BLO, or clear poly OSB.

Spalted Walt

I don't share the love of OSB...

Reply to
woodchucker

Considering it is used for sheathing and is glued up wafers... you would think it does well outdoors. But I have found it rots fast, blows up when water gets into it... (considering it's mostly glue I don't understand that).... Also I think the sun will cause it to fail if not treated. I can't be sure, but I have seen OSB turn black and just flake away, my suspicion was sun and heat.. but it could have been for other reasons... I'm not sure... so I don't consider it a good outdoor wood, without protection.

Reply to
woodchucker

That's just sick!

Reply to
krw

Cover it with Masonite first???

Reply to
clare

Or just put siding on it. Aluminum or vinyl, or even hardy-board or Masonite hardboard siding. ANYTHING looks better than a 4'X8' straw bale.

Reply to
clare

Once you see it, you can't un-see it.

Reply to
Michael

uld just use a decent ply.

It was going to side my solar wood kiln, so maybe the heat inside (polycarb onate surface plus painted black inside) makes the material even less desir able if heat affects its structural properties. I'm going to put the kiln b ehind the garage where it's not going to be seen very often, but I still do n't like the look of painted OSB even back there. My materials list calls f or 5 sheets of 4x8, so I'm looking at an additional cost of about $50.00 if I use good plywood.

Reply to
Michael

Yeah, that. ^^^^^

Reply to
-MIKE-

Anything will rot when it stays wet. Wood building material aren't supposed to stay wet.

I'm curious, when's the last time you used it? I have it in my shop and it holds screws great! Especially those Spax screws designed for particle board.

In my opinion, no ply product holds nails well and they shouldn't be used when screws are available.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Those are some of the ugliest examples of "furniture" I've seen in my life. And I've been to Ikea.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Youl save that in paint.

Reply to
clare

Well the house was built in 87 and that's the OSB I've primarily worked with and been frustrated with. Although I have a few sheets of OSB in the basement, that I am waiting to use on some garbage project. I got it for $1 and figured if I ever need a shipping crate it would be the tkt.

I would agree.

Reply to
woodchucker