How to make flutes in side of tapered column??

We are trying to add flutes about 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide up the sides of a pedestal's column. The column is turned such that it starts off at the bottom about 7" in diameter growing to about 10" before ballooning into a large knee. That's not very clear. The top end looks like the end of a trumpet. We thought we could use a plunge router and rig some kind of carrier but the trumpet end prevents the bit from making contact all the way up the column. Besides, the bit does not extend very far below the router's base and by adding a carrier looks like it will not extend far enough for much/any of the column. Any ideas? Router or otherwise? Thanks, JG

Reply to
JGS

Rig a grinder with a ball rasp and see if you can't get close enough to follow the contour.

Reply to
George

| We are trying to add flutes about 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide up the | sides of a pedestal's column. The column is turned such that it | starts off at the bottom about 7" in diameter growing to about 10" | before ballooning into a large knee. That's not very clear. The | top end looks like the end of a trumpet. | We thought we could use a plunge router and rig some kind of | carrier but the trumpet end prevents the bit from making contact | all the way up the column. Besides, the bit does not extend very | far below the router's base and by adding a carrier looks like it | will not extend far enough for much/any of the column. | Any ideas? Router or otherwise? Thanks, JG

Assuming that the column is pre-assembled: remove the trumpet, rout the flutes, and re-assemble. If the column is _not_ pre-assembled, produce the column and trumpet separately, rout the flutes in the column before joining the two together.

If you are building the column, rout the flutes in the segments before glue-up.

Morris Dovey

Magnate makes long shaft router bits. As for a guide for the router see my site for some solutions. Of course I could always make them for you.

Reply to
Art Ransom

You could always do what the Romans did, way before routers: Carve them by hand. It really isn't that hard.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Reply to
Michael Latcha