How to make a sphere

I was thinking of making a couple of small (3/4") spheres for a project I'm making. I was wondering if anyone had any nifty tricks to do this.

I don't mind making half spheres and gluing them together, or putting a small hole in the sphere for some sort of spinner device (I want to embed a rare earth magnet into it). It does have to be perfectly round though.

While I'm at it, just out of curiosity, how would you go about making bigger spheres, say in the 3-4" variety?

Thanks

John

Reply to
julvr

"perfectly round" and "wood" don't really go together well. even if you did get it nice and round, the first change in humidity would distort it.

that said, making spheres out of wood is work for the lathe. and lots of practise.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

A lathe comes to mind. But, there's a better way to do it using a router with a core-box bit and mounting the stock piece using a double axis. Start by making a cube, mark opposite centers and clipping off the corners.

This is strange, but works...For small spheres (

Reply to
Phisherman

to do this.

I don't

a small hole in

embed a rare earth

round though.

While I'm at

bigger spheres, say

Thanks

John

I would go to the local hardware or craft store and buy them for cheap.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

And where's the fun in that.

Reply to
sweetsawdust

"sweetsawdust" wrote in news:kEAxg.23631 $ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

You spend $.79 each, rather than $1700 on new tools and equipment...

Reply to
Patriarch

And where's the fun in that?

Reply to
todd

You need a better better excuse to spend $1700 on tools?

Reply to
L d"Bonnie

I've made a few this size on my lathe, after the first one done by eye turned out to be slightly cylindrical :-). I simply made a template covering about 90 degrees of arc, and used calipers to compare length with diameter. It's not too hard, just go slowly and check often until you get the hang of it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Why? Any excuse to buy new tools works for me - most of the time! Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I'd much rather spend $1700 0n a new machine

Reply to
Paul D

Tried a prooved method on lathe the make purfect spheres

use 3 or 4 jaw chuck

Turn stock to just above finished diameter .... around 7/8 in your case

Now make the chisel to cut them .....

2 options here

Option 1 buy a 3/4" wad punch weld or by some other means afix a decent size handle to it

Option 2 Obtain a piece of pipe with an inside diameter of 3/4" Go to grinder and sharpen end of pipe around circumference like chisel edge

Use homemade chisel to maKe balls .... set toolrest to just below bottom of stock gently apply pressure to homemede chisel and you will notice a ball starting to form Be very careful and go very slowly as you get to centre. With the right timber and a very steady hand, the ball will cut off. There is useally a small (extremly small if you go very steady) knob to remove on one side of ball

I have used this method for many years with great success on ball up to 3

1/2" Diameter. Your choice of timber makes a big difference to the quality and finish of balls. Once you have done a few it will only take a matter if a minute or two to make a ball

Everything in life is easy if you have the right tools and a little knowledge on how to use them Good Luck

Rgds Paul

Reply to
Paul D

There are good suggestions in this thread but metal workers have the same problem. Go to

and search for 3318A1 for a picture of a metal lathe fixture to make spherical surfaces. It might give you an idea for a wood fixture. I've seen shop-made router fixtures with gimble mounts that might work for this. This month's Sky and Telescope has an interesting new telescope design that has gotten me thinking about large wooden spheres.

Reply to
bob.kirkpatrick

Reply to
M Berger