How to make a hardwood floor?

Hi Guys,
Does anybody knows where I can find info about making a hardwood floor by myself? Just starting from barebone wood...
Thanks in advance
--
Faustino Dina
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:24:08 -0600, "Faustino Dina"

It would actually be easy, although not cheap, with the right tools. If you scored a great deal on wood, it might work out better to have a local mill prepare your wood.
One of the local wood suppliers in CT supplies 20-30 varieties of hardwood flooring.
You'll need to joint the face and an edge, thickness it, rip to width, groove the back and cut the tongue and groove with a shaper. That's really all there is to it, not much different than any other woodworking from rough stock. It's just like any other board, but with some groves on the back and shaped edges.
Barry
in message

And they thickness plane both sides in one pass and have the equipment to do the other operations just as fast.
While doing it yourself is a noble goal, it may be cheaper to buy it when you factor in the time. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Barry, why groove the back? I'm assuming you'd nail it to the subfloor, so no need for glue.
Greg
On 21 Jan 2004 05:39:01 -0800, the snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Greg Carter) wrote:

I'm really not sure. All I know is all the wood flooring I've seen has a textured back. I doubt mills would go to the trouble of putting it there if it wasn't necessary.
Barry
That groove has the purpose of providing a relief so less is needed to plane or otherwise remove to get a flat fit. Not all sub-floors are flat as what the finished floor is to be.
Same concept as why casing and baseboard are most often relieved.
Top ________________ | ________ | |_/ \__|
Bottom
Little effort required to remove material to get 'the fit.'
______________ | | |_____________| Have to plane the whole back side when removing material.
--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but it is
Not all that difficult. Joint the edge, and face, then plan to uniform thickness, then rip to uniform width, then mill/route tongue and groove
John
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:24:08 -0600, "Faustino Dina"

Take some hardwood. Nail it across the floor joists. Voil