How to make a cutting board

I *think* (and without bothering to verify it) that artists oil paints are still made the same way they were centuries ago, from raw linseed oil. I used to paint with oils a lot when I was younger (some 30 years ago) and I loved it. Interestingly, some colors would dry much faster than others, I presume because of the effects the various pigments had on the oil. You could also (still can, I presume) buy the linseed oil itself to mix your own paint or make it flow better. It was my understanding that it was not at all toxic and I can still remember the wonderful smell, but I can't remember if I actually ever tasted it. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

You can still buy it just about anywhere. Just DAGS "raw linseed oil" and you will get plenty of sources.

Flaxseed oil is the same thing, just refined differently. Like you, I love the way it smells, and I remember going into old cabinets maker's (not necessarily pros) shops that had that smell in the air.

That smell just seems to take you back a few years....

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Flaxseed oil makes you poop.

Reply to
Robatoy

Walnut oil is considered a vegetable(as opposed to mineral) oil. So is Almond oil, and coconut oil - both recommended for "seasoning" cutting boards. "Salad Bowl Oil" is a combination of "vegatable oils" as well - cold pressed flax (linseed) oil and organic lemon oil with a non-toxic drier (usually Zircon Octoate) (BioShield)

General Finishes Salad Bowl oil is petroleum distilate (mineral spirits) and oil modified Urethane.

Reply to
clare

The Big thing is vegetable oils that are heart healthy are more likely to go rancid than the "bad" oils. Poly-unsaturated oils go rancid rather quichly, while more saturated vegetable oils stay "sweet" a WHOLE lot longer.

Virtually ANY vegetable oil lasts longer than amimal oils.

Reply to
clare

How much fiber is there in the oil? :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Flaxseed oil makes you poop.

So does my morning cup of coffee! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Flaxseeds are really high in fibre. Of course it make you poop.

Reply to
Upscale

Nothing makes a better push-rod than that first cup of java.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Uh, I think you're doing it wrong.

Reply to
HeyBub

You have to admit though, it would make a good Youtube video....

;^)

Just make sure to wash the cup before re-using.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

LOL

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Are these cutting boards washed by hand, soaked or put into the dishwasher? I suspect it is the care of the board that is making it split. My cutting boards have been used over 25 years and have not split yet. I wash them by hand, rinse and try to keep them dry. I use one for meat, another for vegetables.

Reply to
Phisherman