How to make a cutting board

Page 2 of 4

As a person who suffered surgery grade hemorroids at the age of 22, I'll debate "Perfectly safe" all day long. There are definite downsides to ingesting any "laxitive", but especially a ....again I say!.... PETROLEUM-based one.
I would be more than willing to talk about and give advice on a subject that was the bane of my life for almost ten years. I've not suffered 'em since and can speak with some authority on how and why they are no longer an issue. I would be more than happy to help anyone avoid suffering the same grief I did. Kinda blunt and crass, I know, but if you've been so plagued, screw politeness. Knowledge rocks!! I'll share. ;)
nb ---> notbob at q dot com

I don't doubt you had problems, but you are one in a million or a billion or a bazillion. The rest of us don't have the same reaction from trace amounts that a cutting board may give.

If I was one in a bazillion, laxitives and hemorroid meds wouldn't be a billion dollar industry.
I'm not saying using mineral oil on a cutting board will automatically give one 'roids', but ingesting it does your body no good and it's not as benign as you might believe. I will agree the amounts one would ingest using it on a cutting board are negligible. OTOH, I don't care what the oil companies would like us to believe, I will not knowingly ingest petroleum products, no matter how refined. You, of course, are free to do as you like. ;)
nb

I understand your concern for your health due to your experiences, but please recognize that you are ingesting petroleum products, laboratory chemicals and other food stuffs untouched by nature every single day. It doesn't matter is the label says organic, free-range or anything else.
Pretty much everything you eat is fertilized one way or another, and fertilizer is made from ammonia, and ammonia is made from natural gas and nitrogen (fixed by the Haber process). In other words, you are, and are consuming, petroleum products each and every meal.
If you think that's weird, check out Haber's life. He was responsible for one of the greatest boons to mankind and also for some of the most horrific products ever made.
Unless you live the Amish life, you are eating mineral oil everyday. It is sprayed on rice to stop dust, gel caps for pills are made from it, hundreds of foods use it in their coatings. And it is available in the pharmacy to be used as a stool softner taken straight.
It is one of the many amazing refined items we get from oil. It is closest in structure to wax and in the industry is actually called parifin oil in the trades.

Phooey. If the wood is properly dried, properly jointed, and properly glued, there's absolutely no need for "stainless steel tension members".

*Any* waterproof glue comes under the category of "properly glued".

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Most vegetable oils will become rancid in fairly short order. Finish with mineral oil, or with walnut oil.
(Doug Miller)

Actully if you take all of the precautions that you mentioned and build a butcher block style cutting board, "with end grain pointing up" the likely hood of the joints and or wood splitting increase dramatically. The end grain will soak up enough liquids and oils that it will eventually swell and can crack. I have a mobile butcher block that I build almost 30 years ago that split for the reason mentioned after about 6 years of use. Rods added through the center have prevented this from reoccouring. If your cutting board uses the side or edge of the wood for the cutting surface glue is all that you should need.

That is not true. My wife has never used anything but vegetable oil on the butcher block and there has never been a problem with anything going rancid, at least in the last 30 years. While mineral oil and or a butcher block oil may be a better choice, vegetable oil has done just fine for us.
"Leon" wrote

That and she cleans the top after every use. I shutter to think that some one would not. Perhaps the oil gets thinned down from use.

Indeed that's true -- which is one reason I don't build cutting boards that way. The other reason is I don't like the look.

Yep, I can see that. More trouble than it's worth IMO -- easier, and (again, IMO) better looking to use strips, with the edge grain up.

Agreed.
OK, perhaps I should have said "may become rancid". Still better to use an oil that eventually dries; walnut, being a food product, is of course completely food-safe. Or leave it unfinished, and dress it with a card scraper every now and again.

Actually that other way, with end grain up is the better way, the cuts in the wood are "self healing' so to speak, and knives stay sharper longer.

Better lookiing until they get used a lot. Along with that 30 year old butcher block that has never had to be resurfaced, we have an edge grain maple cutting board that I made in Jr. High. I have had to resurface it numerous times.

I think the "vegetable oil" thing is much like the "Swine Flu", it gets much more bad talk than it poses as an actual mass threat.
Walnut oil is totally safe for everyone not allergic to nuts!
On May 5, 7:03am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

Let's see now, my slab of plastic doesn't need to be oiled, will go in the dishwasher if desired, doesn't damage knife edge during use, can be sterilized with household bleach.
That just about covers all my needs for a cutting board, but as a work of art, it sucks.
Lew

Please double check the newsgroup name, you Philistine! ;)
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

the marketing potential!
You forgot one thing "IT'S PLASTIC!".

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
You forgot one thing "IT'S PLASTIC!".
Didn't forget, if you look at my post I acknowledge that plastic is very functional but BFU.
Beauty is reserved for wood, functionally is not.
Lew
On Tue, 05 May 2009 16:49:36 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

"It looks like frozen snot."
        L.F. Herreshoff
Regards,
"Tom Watson" wrote:

But no teradeos or dry rot.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Maybe the manufacturers will take a hint and make them wood grained. Or get a black one and say it's ebony :)
--

dadiOH