How to make > 45 degree cut

Every once in a while I find the need to make a cross cut that is greater than 45 degrees. The only way that I have felt safe doing this is by making a jig, which can be time consuming for maybe just one cut. I was wondering what techniques can be used to make say a 55 or 60 degree cut on the table saw. George

Reply to
George

Just remember that if you want a 60 degree cut relative to one edge you get a 30 degree cut relative to the other edge (assuming a square board). In many situations it is possible to make the cut relative to that other surface and use a 30 degree angle instead of a 60 degree one. When the dimensions of the board make it difficult, I often scribe the line with a protractor and then cut carefully at the bandsaw or even with a jig saw. If I had to make 100 parts like that then making a jig, as you mentioned, is definitely the best and easiest way to go.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Complimentary angles. Aids to holding include longer fence on miter gage, sandpaper on fence, or holddowns.

Reply to
George

I have a removable swinging fence for my table saw sled which makes accurate cuts at about any angle easy. Drop me an email if you would like to see picture. Earl Creel

Reply to
Earl Creel

add a 55 or 60 degree wedge to your sled.

Reply to
bridger