How to lighten up wood stain?

I'm about to stain some wood with Minwax 'Red Oak' stain. It's a bit too dark so I added some paint thinner to it to make it lighter. The wood test didn't seem the worse for wear. Is this the proper way of making a stain lighter or is there a better way?
thanks
elfa
What you did will work, but the better way is to mix it with minwax, Natural which is strictely the vehicle base with no color in it.
Good luck George

dark
didn't
or is

It'll work. I've done the same thing. In fact I've used the Red to tone down some oak that is greener than the rest of the project. A bit on a rag wiped across the previously stained wood does wonders to match unevenly colored boards. I did that with baseboards and just a bit ago on crown molding.
dave
elfa wrote:

It always works for me, for dyes and pigment stains.
Barry