How to lighten up wood stain?

I'm about to stain some wood with Minwax 'Red Oak' stain. It's a bit too dark so I added some paint thinner to it to make it lighter. The wood test didn't seem the worse for wear. Is this the proper way of making a stain lighter or is there a better way?

thanks

elfa

Reply to
elfa

What you did will work, but the better way is to mix it with minwax, Natural which is strictely the vehicle base with no color in it.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

It'll work. I've done the same thing. In fact I've used the Red to tone down some oak that is greener than the rest of the project. A bit on a rag wiped across the previously stained wood does wonders to match unevenly colored boards. I did that with baseboards and just a bit ago on crown molding.

dave

elfa wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

It always works for me, for dyes and pigment stains.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .