HOW TO KEEP KERF OPEN - ON A BAND SAW

I just started to resaw my first piece.on a Jet 18" Band saw with a Timberwolf Resaw Blade. It is a 6" wide x 17"long x 2" thick piece of white oak. I am trying to resaw this into two 1" thick pieces of stock. My problem is approx 4" into the cut the saw kerf collapsed on the blade - end of operation. What do you recommend for material, tools or techniques to keep the kerf open behind the blade?? A googe search on the group and the web doesn't turn up any useful info.

Thank You in advance for your help. JOE SHEA snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

7/29/2003
Reply to
Joseph E. Shea, Jr.

I like thin cardboard, like the kind used for cereal boxes. It'll go bottom to top in the kerf even at full depth, which a simple wedge won't. Double it, stuff and go.

Which begs the issue on your oak, which is apparently badly case-hardened, and my not be suitable in any case after resawing.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Mark