HOW TO KEEP KERF OPEN - ON A BAND SAW

--MS_Mac_OE_3142354635_203474_MIME_Part Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
I just started to resaw my first piece.on a Jet 18" Band saw with a Timberwolf Resaw Blade. It is a 6" wide x 17"long x 2" thick piece of white oak. I am trying to resaw this into two 1" thick pieces of stock. My problem is approx 4" into the cut the saw kerf collapsed on the blade - end of operation. What do you recommend for material, tools or techniques to keep the kerf open behind the blade?? A googe search on the group and the web doesn't turn up any useful info.
Thank You in advance for your help. JOE SHEA snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net 7/29/2003

I like thin cardboard, like the kind used for cereal boxes. It'll go bottom to top in the kerf even at full depth, which a simple wedge won't. Double it, stuff and go.
Which begs the issue on your oak, which is apparently badly case-hardened, and my not be suitable in any case after resawing.

4" ? That some stressed wood. I use a wood shim in the end when the need arises. Mark from Pasadena, MD