how to keep filter media on Jet & other DCs clean

I noticed that when the bag (plastic) on bottom is about 1/3" full the DC starts to suck a lot of chips, etc up into the top filter area. I was maybe 1/3rd full and decided to pull the filter off. Whoa! It was clogged full of chips. I knocked them off and dumped the bag.
Does anyone have any tips for keeping the chips in the lower bag? For now, I'm going to just have to dump when it gets 1/4 full. I guess that's OK, but with that at least it would be good to have a quicker way to get at the chips than pulling off the plastic bag.
This seems ripe for a nifty idea.
I meant to include 'canister' in the subject.
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:31:46 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote in

I use these replacement bags from Penn State Industries: http://tinyurl.com/5wel5
They have lots of area with bags on both sides. After a while the top bag will start to clog with very fine dust but it can be knocked off and the fine dust falls into the lower bag.
They filter down to 1 micron and are reasonably priced ($74 for the set).
I've been thinking about getting the canister style, which has more surface area: http://tinyurl.com/68zhs
That type is supposedly cleaned by blowing over the outside of the filter with compressed air.
I have the canister type. Blowing air is a good idea -- I will try that. But I'm betting that the chips will just get sucked back up into the media as soon as I turn it on.
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:37:34 GMT, Nate Perkins

Make your DC your secondary collector. Add an in line container for larger pieces before the debris reaches the DC.
I'm using 6" lines. I've heard that with 6" lines, it's nearly impossible to build a seperator. The airflow will suck the chips right through. But the advantage of 6" lines is you get great airflow at the tools and really capture the small particles.
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:16:45 GMT, "Leon"

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:31:46 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

I have a canister filter and trash can preseperator.
The trash can picks up the big stuff. I empty the bottom bag 2-3 times a year, and I buy my lumber rough. The trash can fills up 12-15 times before the bag. The canister filter is cleaned by rotating a flapper that beats the filter media.
FWIW, the canister has noticeably kept my shop cleaner, I feel better after working, and the air flow is noticeably better than my old, standard 30 micron bags. I know I can get low micron bags, but I don't have the ceiling height. The canister fits much more media into a much smaller physical space than cloth bags.
Barry
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:31:46 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Since you say you have a plastic bag I'm assuming you have the pleated canister filter above. If not, the following will not apply.
I have not noticed that as a problem with mine. But I always run the paddles around a bit before removing the bag, so maybe I'm knocking down things that I didn't know were there. I usually wait until the bag is about 2/3 full before I empty it.
Do you use 4" lines or 6"?
6" moves a lot of air which is great for dust collection at the tool. All that airflow is probably what is sucking chips up into the filter media. I'm probably going to have to dump more often, rotate the paddles and blow compressed air into the filter.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:31:46 -0700, the inscrutable nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net spake:

They're called "cyclone separators". Use one and you won't get chips or large amounts of dust in the bag in the first place. My Griz G-1029 (2hp DC) came with a cyclone lid for a trashcan. It works great and is also sold separately.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3376
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Thanks all.. I meant to say I have the canister filter media.