How to infuriate your wife: Lesson 1

Page 6 of 6
In rec.woodworking

Finally a voice of reason amongst the PW'd masses.
...as much as I expect flack and such, it had to be said...and as much as I would like to do the LOL thing, I can't...
truth is truth!!! LOL
wrote:

(try
insane
your
It never ceases to amaze me, the number of men afraid of their wives! Just remember the last time she spent money on something she wanted..........did she whine and whimper about you being upset about the money she spent. It's your money, dammit! Wear your damn pants. Beat your chest. Grunt alot!
The secret of how to avoid getting married, every 5 to 7 years I find a woman I hate ( you have to really hate her!!!!!!!!!) and buy her a new house, a new car, and hand her about 40000 dollars. Saves on the lawyer fees. H
Tom Kohlman wrote:

I'll send you my wife's e-mail address (her car is getting old and she could use the cash)...

Invest the rebate in flowers, dinner, chocholate or whatever she go for.
MG

time,
also a

on
happened,
for
that we

top
week.
by a

assured by

Start earning more money with your tools than you spend on them.

But then you have another job and not a hobby any more. Works for some, but I've seen a good hobby ruined by making money.
you just had to go and say that didn't you? that was a fact I've been trying to deny for some time now. I wanted tools so i started earning money with them so i could buy more tools.....good news is I've acquired quite a shop and my wife can't complain cause I've paid for all the tools and then some. Bad news is it's become a second job and now I've been forced to depreciate tools against earnings for the IRS so i'm locked in to doing this for a minimum of 7 years.....
in

Hey, knock it off you two! I'm sitting here thinking I'm getting ready for a nice little second income after I retire and you guys are letting all the air out of my parade.
Dan

the
It works for some people. The problem is that you can enjoy a hobby and walk out of the shop any time you want. You make what you want and finish it the way you want. If you can sell it, that is a bonus.
Where you can get into trouble is having people order what THEY want. Ugly stuff with ugly finishes and I need it by Saturday as it is for a birthday party I'm going to. When that happens, you no longer have a hobby, but a job.
People hint that they'd like to have something just like it after seeing what I made. Most of the time I tell them what the material cost and they stop hinting. That's OK with me. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

No argument there. But I think, if I spend a lot of time thinking about it while I'm watching that retirement date get closer, I can keep that to a minimum. I've already got some experience telling people "This job can't be done by then, at any price", and I can afford to eat my estimating mistakes at first. I'll keep in mind that old Blacksmith's saying: "There's two ways for a Smith to go out of business; the first is working cold iron and the second's not charging enough."
And I'm watching the specialty shops around here. Already got two possibilities for things that seem to be selling well and wouldn't take too long to set up for batch production runs every now and then. I wouldn't mind working a week or so every month to get the money to play around for the rest of it. :-)
Dan
And I'm watching the specialty shops around here. Already got two possibilities for things that seem to be selling well and wouldn't take too long to set up for batch production runs every now and then.
Care to share what these possibilities might be? I've been cutting cedar porch brackets, building gable louvers and exterior shutters for new home builders.

Actually no. I wanna experiment with it before I shoot my mouth off. But I'll share the third because I can't set up for it now. I was in Cost Plus getting my obligatory Secret Santa present, and sizing up the 44-bottle wine racks on sale for 35 bucks. Man, were they were _cheap_ looking. Pine sticks stapled together in a framework that held bottles. Solid pine top. No finish. Looked like they were thrown together by drunk monkeys.
People were buying them in twos and threes. They were lined up four deep at four checkouts, congratulating each other on the good deal. I've gone back since Christmas, and they're not selling as fast as that, but they're still selling. I figure if a guy set up with the right jigs, he could work up to cranking those out at least five or six a day, maybe ten, that were ten times more solid than that and a lot better looking too. I'd make up some stock and see if I could find wherever those folks hung out. Maybe it would work, maybe not. But from what I could see it'd be worth the trouble finding out.
Dan

at
It's amazing what people will consider buying. A single bottle of wine can easily be worth many times the cost of one of those racks. The chance of it collapsing and losing a sizeable chuck of cash in the process probably never occurred to one of those anxious to buy purchasers.
2nd job?
--
In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

time,
also a

on
happened,
for
that we

top
week.
by a

assured by

Yeah. What did she get you for Valentine's Day? Tell her to consider it her gift to you that she won't give you any crap about the purchases, and then make it up to her over time by actually building something.
I have thousands of dollars invested in my shop, and over the next year I'll be putting a few thousand more into the shop. What does my wife get out of the deal? A new timberframe house. I tell her that for every dollar I spend on woodworking stuff, I could be spending it instead on smokes, beer, junk food, or something else she *really* hates. It's also either that or I sit my ass in front of the TV and watch something really stupid like NASCAR or football.
Jon E
Jon Endres, PE wrote:

Whoa! Not so fast! During football season the portable TV's Sunday home is out in the shop with me. <g>
-- Mark
Try building a dog house. Make sure it's big enough so you can sleep in it for a few weeks.

top
week.
by a

assured by