How to infuriate your wife: Lesson 1

Page 4 of 6

Where I work is one block from downtown. Downtown is two blocks long, has a pizza shop and now a Subway. There is even a traffic light right in the center of downtown. To get back and forth from work, I have to drive right through downtown. At rush hour, I've already hat to wait two changes of the light to get through the intersection. That gets me PO'd because it then takes me 34 minutes to get home instead of 33.
OB woodworking: There is a lumber yard around the corner. Great place if you need a 2 x 4 or sheet of plywood. They even carry three sizes of nails. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Our town is a bit larger, but there still aren't too many places to eat downtown. Domino's, Pappa John's, Subway, a local deli (imagine that... a non-chain restaurant!), a Burger King.
To get to the food, you have to move out to the edge of town, where I live. Used to be nothing out here but trees and farms. Now everything is out here excecpt for TGI Friday's and Ruby Tuesday.

The lumber yard here is over in town proper. Really inconvenient to get to from here because of the 30 minutes spent waiting at stoplights to go five miles. They don't stock much, and their prices are anything but cheap, but they have walnut, and that's all it takes to keep me going back.
says...

should use MY account to buy tools and not Hers?

Nope! What is mine is mine ,and what is hers is mine too! Greg

You simply explain that you need these tool, and you don't care to hear her thoughts on the matter.
Oh, did you want to remain married? There is little chance of that unless you return the tools.

Works for me ... but I also (tenderly) point out that the cost of the joint counseling sessions that might result from her non-compliance will greatly exceed the cost of the tools.
;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04
NoNameAtAll wrote:

LOL "Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

On 20 Feb 2004 21:45:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote:

Be extra nice. Do a lot more listening than talking.
One word ---- Tongue!
dave

ClemsonDave wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!!
I can't top that one. Besides... A dust collector, a planer AND a jointer in one shot? No wonder she's pissed. Sounds to me like the OP got greedy.
Besides, don't let those good deal limited time only prices lure you into a buying frenzy if you can't afford it. $100 saved on a blurfl isn't really $100 saved if you pay interest on the damn credit card.

It ain't nothing! I bought a DW733 planer, Jet closed stand jointer, HF $150 dust collector, Bosch jig saw, and a Jet dove tail jig, all within about two months earlier this winter. No problems from the Mrs., just gotta build her something!
The final (pre)-gloat to top it off, I have been dreaming about a motorcycle as our kid is old enough, and pretty self sufficiant to be on her own, and mom and I can go riding togather. Anyway SWMBO figured it was a good idea too, so I have been doing some drooling at the local Harley Davidson dealer too! Just trying to pry the moldy money out of my wallet! Greg
how much are they running now? I used to be a Gold Wing owner who got sticker shock when I checked a few years ago on the prices: $16,000 and some change! I paid $2,500 for mine, new, in '75, which was the first year they were produced. Sure miss that sucker! Had a 4 speaker stereo that I installed into the Vetter fairing. Had a Pioneer SuperTuner mounted on a slide mount on the handlebars, a power booster mounted on top of that (Audiovox- cheap, very small, and effective), 4x10 woofer/midranges and tweeters mounted such that their sound bounced off the windshield up toward my awaiting ears. Those were the days!
dave
Greg O wrote:

A new Low Rider runs in the $16k neighborhood. A new 883 sporster will run around $7k. A Electra Glide with all the whistles and bells can go over $20K. Those are dealer list prices. Some dealers in metopolitan areas have been know to get $5K or more OVER list price! No negotiating on price at the local dealers, they don't need to. List price, plus frieght and set up. If you don't like the price, don't buy it, they will just sell it to the next person throught the door! The RUB's, (rich urban bikers), with money have kept the prices up. Harley has not been able to keep up with the demand, although I belive they are starting to catch up. Used bikes in good condition sell for what they were bought for years before. I am afraird this may turn around as the baby boomers are looking at retirement, and the bell curve is on the downward slope. I am not buying as an investment so I am not really concerned. Greg
Look at goldwings...lot less money than a harley of not-quite-as-well-equipped, and a lot more comfortable to boot.
John

I don't want a dresser. I don't plan on taking any long trips, just day cruises so a Low Rider is more my liking. I may get a set of bags that you can just toss on, but I don't see the need for heavy duty luggage! I have a couple or frinds that ride 'wings. Yes they are nice bikes, I have put a couple miles on one, but really not what I want. I have looked at Honda Shadow and VTX lines but they still run over $12k! Then a jap bike just drops in value from the day you buy it, where a HD will stay close to it's original price as long as it is maintained. Greg

I'd be totally dead if I bought all three at once. That's something like 6 grand from my perspective. Buying a used Wood-Mizer was bad enough.
Jon E
Tell her that the price of the new Harley you were going to buy is significantly more than the pittance you're spending on these new, very necessary and not frivolous tools.
Then go to the jewelry store and "bling-bling" your troubles away. DAMHIKT

To NoName: Tell her you want this stuff no matter what. She's just a girl and WTF does she know about man tools.
To Wife of NoName: When you boot this bozo out of the house, drop me a line. I'll give you a hundred bucks cash for his stuff and I'll even pay the shipping.
:-)     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Good strategy. I could just a planer, a jointer and a dust collector myself. I'll give her $200.