How to infuriate your wife: Lesson 1

Page 3 of 6
In typed:

And vice versa.....

Lots of reasons for different arrangements. SWMBO and I have had a joint account since we married, and I've been the breadwinner for that time (15 years plus).
She just got back into the workforce after raising two kids and set up her own account for her payroll deposit. She wants to feel that she has her own money after a decade and a half of not having much of it.
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

"Dave Balderstone"

She should also have a credit card in her own name also. Can be handy "just in case"

She does, has had for the whole marriage and before.
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

With wife #1, that would have been my reaction. Which is why we are no longer married (she has since passed away). Wife #2 -- well, I just let her run *all* of the finances. She's a CPA, and she has done wonders for our savings & overall financial condition.
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://freshcoffee.opportunity.com http://freshjava.opportunity.com
So true. I also insisted that my wife buy her new car in her own name with out mine on the title. That way she has her own credit history with very stong entries.
Then we paid it off six months later with home equity, and she has a really strong credit profile to fall back on if she needs it.
Yeah, she has her own Amex too. We cut up all the Visa / Mastercard / Discover cards a long time ago when we got them paid off. All we carry now is debit cards and Amex.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

In rec.woodworking

Which is the reason for doing it. When my W quit her job, I started paying her a salary out of mine, direct deposited into her account. Believe me, they like it better that way.
Then again, you always have to deal with the stupid woman's thinking that what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.
Wrong. MY wife and I agree that there are limits to spending each month. She has funds to spend or not spend on anything she likes. I have the same. We agreed that I would draw $200 a week "pocket money" and she could draw $400 "pocket money" since she usually paid for stuff for the kids during the month (hamburgers, books, underware, what ever). This is blind money that can go for anything we want, no reciepts required, no questions, no complaints, no nothing. Her's to do with as she pleases. I got no controll over where it goes, just a mutual agreement about how much will be involved.
Monthly, as different needs arise (tuition, house repairs, car repairs, etc.) arise, we both make adjustments as needed to keep things from getting to skewed off budjet.
It's not about controll of my wife, it's about control of our money.
Mark wrote:

Mapdude wrote:

A WEEK?
Good grief, you just spent my entire pre-tax salary on "pocket money" every week.
We have a similar arrangement, but divide it by 10.
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:11:56 -0500, Silvan

And here my near total monthly living expense amount to $370 a month, and that includes property taxes, food, car insurance, and utility bills. I had to take a roommate to help split the bills. Not enough money for medicine nor health insurance. Hey Bush, I need a job! :-(
Yeah, I have a hard time going through $200 in a week. Since I work "downtown" from my house, I end up eating out for lunch most days, and at $7 to $10 average a day, I can easily spend $50 to $60 (with tip) a week just on lunch. Anything and everything I want to buy for the week comes out of that money (beer, magazine, carwash, movie ticket, etc.)
I usually only end up spending about $100 a week, if that much. The rest just goes back into the bucket until I need it.
Silvan wrote:

Mapdude wrote:

If it's some kind of eatery where a tip is expected, I can't afford to eat there. Our idea of fine dining is one of those rare trips to Burger King. :)
Oh well.
Silvan responds:

You might want to check your lunch time costs in a place that needs tips. Fast food these days is not cheap.
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
Charlie Self wrote:

I have. It's still considerably cheaper. Especially after factoring in the 15% tip that today's wait staff expects.
Not to mention all the places around here that need tips are standing room only. 75,000 college students and many of them stupidly going into debt hand over fist with their shiny new credit cards. (Been there, done that. Oh the stupid things I paid thousands for in the end.) The only time a real person can get into a decent restaurant is when the damn college students have gone back home to D.C./NoVA.
Silvan wrote:

Are you old enough to remember Earl Nightengale's "Our Changing World"? (I wish he was still around.) Always good food for thought.
I've invested several thousand $ in "self help" etc. tapes over the years and have profited greatly thereby. When my car was broken into I noted to the police that several low $ items were stolen but the theives left the tapes series (on time management IIRC) on which I'd spent over $250. It was really ironic -- they left the HIGHEST value items in the car. ;-)
You write well, therefore you think well. You can leverage this into income, some how, some way. People who can think are valueable.
The most valuable self-help materials I have are written by Christian millionaires / billionares. I know that probably freaks you out but I have plenty of "secular" books & tapes too. Ping me offline & I'll send you a copy of Napoleon Hill's "Think & Grow Rich" if you're interested. It's good brain food. ;-) I'd also be willing to lend (not give <g>) you a Earl Nightengale tape series.
I clearly recall about 15 years ago when our finances improved to where going to McDonald's occasionally wasn't a budget buster. Though 2002 and 2003 were challenges in the post-dot-com-crash world I've always had cash on hand to pay a couple months bills if all income stopped. (It did a time or two, too.) 2004 is (finally!) looking pretty good. It's still February and already I've earned 50% of the total I made in 2002.
My financial prosperity has come from what I've learned in church, books & tapes. Why not take me up on my offer? ;-)
-- Mark
On 27 Feb 2004 02:53:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I have not ate at a fast food restaurant since 2000, and then it was a Subway. But, I stopped eating lunch altogether since 1992 and exercise for 40 minutes, but I do eat one piece of fruit before lunch time.. My weight is down 35 pounds and no major sicknesses (nor flu) since. Not only saved on lunch money, but medical expenses.
Silvan wrote:

Eating out can be expensive. I see more and more truckers carring their lunch. Many of the rigs have fridges and microwaves in them now, but some just carry a cooler.
My lunch is usually leftovers. We intentionally cook extra so I can make a lunch for the next day or so. Aside from the fact that there is little to choose from near work, it is cheaper and I eat better.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I carry a cooler myself, and I keep enough of a stock of dry goods in the truck to survive for several days.
SWMBO is the one who goes for the leftovers, but then she has a microwave at work.
I tried bringing my lunch, but that got old. Got tired of leftovers. Don't eat sandwiches. Low carb diet. Cafeteria downstairs at the office has marginal food at best. Mostly tastes like cardboard.
So, the alternative is eat out at restaurants downtown. You get waited on, you need to leave a tip. Lots of places where you can get a meat and 3 for $7.00. Lots of places to eat. Food is great. Get to get out of the building for a while. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love working downtown.