How to hold a 1" OD x 2" long dowel in a drill?

How to hold a 1" OD x 2" long dowel in a drill?

Would it fit snugly inside of a 1 inch hole cutter?

How else can you hold a 1 inch diameter dowel in the jaws of a 1/2 inch chuck drill?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Very... :) since the OD of the holesaw (I presume you mean) is 1" and the ID is that minus thickness of the wall--probably 3/64" or slightly thinner.

For what purpose? Spinning it, I presume, but against what loading?

Center drill for a smaller dowel?

Hot glue a dowel?

Reply to
dpb

Is that used for drilling a well-centered hole in a spinning piece of wood? I will look, thanks for the keyword.

Yes, I want to put a 1 inch diameter dowel in the chuck of a drill, and drill a well-centered hole into it.

After that, I'm going to use that hole to turn it in a drill, to shave a little bit off of the outer diameter.

Reply to
John Doe

You could drill a small hole in the center and chuck a headless screw in the drill to screw into the hole. It may well wobble while spinning. A lathe would be nice, but sometimes you do what you have to do with what you have.

Reply to
G. Ross

Glue a 1/2" dowel to the end of the 1" dowel, chuck the 1/2" dowel. Drill 1/2" hole into end and insert/glue 1/2" dowel into hole, chuck

1/2" dowel. Drill and insert a hanger bolt, with the machine threads out, chuck the machine threads.
Reply to
-MIKE-

Glue a 1/2" dowel to the end of the 1" dowel, chuck the 1/2" dowel. Drill 1/2" hole into end and insert/glue 1/2" dowel into hole, chuck

1/2" dowel. Drill and insert a hanger bolt, with the machine threads out, chuck the machine threads.
Reply to
-MIKE-

Try googling "Lathe"

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Try a different thread

Reply to
John Doe

BTW, since you must know so much about lathes...

How exactly would you attach a 1" OD x 2" long dowel to a lathe, so that you can cut a well-centered 1/4" diameter x 1" long hole into the other end?

Reply to
John Doe

How do you get the dowel centered in the chuck?

Reply to
John Doe

mount it between centers, use a hollow tail center and drill baby drill.

chuck it in a face chuck, mount drill chuck in tail.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

This probably will do...

Secure a block of wood in a drill press. Drill a 1 inch hole into it. Stick the 1 inch dowel into the hole and drill through the center.

Reply to
John Doe

That is what a chuck _does_.

Anything mounted in the face chuck correctly at the head stock will be centered from the perspective of the tail stock.

It will be more accurate if one mounts between centers, turn to make uniform, then use a lamp boring bit to bore through a hollow tail center. This also allows custom O.D.

Scott Lurndal

So how will that "shave down" the outside diameter?

Reply to
G. Ross

By using the centered hole for a shank.

If it works... Both the hole and the shaved outer diameter will be used in my project.

Reply to
John Doe

I would chuck the dowel into my 3 jaw chuck, make sure it was straight by eyeballing it against the tool rest, putting a jacobs chuck on the tailstock, and then putting the drill bit in the jacobs chuck.

If metal-working accuracy was needed (rather than what's typically required for woodworking) a 4 jaw chuck could be used and the dowel accurately centered with use of a dial indicator.

Reply to
Larry W

Scott provides a few methods and shows that using the right tool will give you several options. Lets discuss how we would do this starting with a square block. Or Google lathe and do some reading. ;^)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Make a pot chuck.

Yeah, that's the idea; the chuck of most power drills is mounted on a (for instance) 3/8"-24tpi threaded shaft. You can build a fitting that goes onto that shaft, that engages the 1" dowel.

It takes a lathe, and some patience, though. Some cheap holesaws use a driven disc with concentric circle grooves, you could fairly easily mount some kind of suitable chuck on such a disk; do you have a small-ish lathe step-jaw chuck handy?

Reply to
whit3rd

Oh, if that's all you want, just fasten a wood block to your drillpress table, drill/bore a 1" hole in it, then fit the dowel into the hole and run any kind of drill you want, right down the axis.

This requires that you keep the drill press fittings clamped, of course.

Reply to
whit3rd

Can you glue it into a 1" socket for a ratchet wrench and use it with

1/4 to 3/8 adapter that would be chucked into the drill.
Reply to
Keith Nuttle