How to hold a 1" OD x 2" long dowel in a drill?

Page 1 of 2
How to hold a 1" OD x 2" long dowel in a drill?
Would it fit snugly inside of a 1 inch hole cutter?
How else can you hold a 1 inch diameter dowel in the jaws of a 1/2 inch chuck drill?
Thanks.
On 7/2/2013 1:35 PM, John Doe wrote:

Very... :) since the OD of the holesaw (I presume you mean) is 1" and the ID is that minus thickness of the wall--probably 3/64" or slightly thinner.

For what purpose? Spinning it, I presume, but against what loading?
Center drill for a smaller dowel?
Hot glue a dowel?

dpb <none non.net> wrote:

Is that used for drilling a well-centered hole in a spinning piece of wood? I will look, thanks for the keyword.
Yes, I want to put a 1 inch diameter dowel in the chuck of a drill, and drill a well-centered hole into it.
After that, I'm going to use that hole to turn it in a drill, to shave a little bit off of the outer diameter.

Try googling "Lathe"

Try a different thread
"SonomaProducts.com" <bwx200 yahoo.com> wrote:

BTW, since you must know so much about lathes...
How exactly would you attach a 1" OD x 2" long dowel to a lathe, so that you can cut a well-centered 1/4" diameter x 1" long hole into the other end?

mount it between centers, use a hollow tail center and drill baby drill.
chuck it in a face chuck, mount drill chuck in tail.
scott
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

drill.

How do you get the dowel centered in the chuck?

That is what a chuck _does_.
http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/mechanics/Mechanical-Processes/images/Fig-176-Lathe-Chuck.jpg
Anything mounted in the face chuck correctly at the head stock will be centered from the perspective of the tail stock.
It will be more accurate if one mounts between centers, turn to make uniform, then use a lamp boring bit to bore through a hollow tail center. This also allows custom O.D.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/ProductImages/turningtools/141910.jpg
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lathes-acc-lnghlbrng-hlotl
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:12:54 PM UTC-7, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Scott provides a few methods and shows that using the right tool will give you several options. Lets discuss how we would do this starting with a square block. Or Google lathe and do some reading. ;^)

I would chuck the dowel into my 3 jaw chuck, make sure it was straight by eyeballing it against the tool rest, putting a jacobs chuck on the tailstock, and then putting the drill bit in the jacobs chuck.
If metal-working accuracy was needed (rather than what's typically required for woodworking) a 4 jaw chuck could be used and the dowel accurately centered with use of a dial indicator.

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:46:42 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:

Oh, if that's all you want, just fasten a wood block to your drillpress table, drill/bore a 1" hole in it, then fit the dowel into the hole and run any kind of drill you want, right down the axis.
This requires that you keep the drill press fittings clamped, of course.

I'd clamp it in the chuck of my lathe, with a drill chuck and bit in the tailstock.
Done it before.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

Which means not a lot of wobble.
I would have no problem producing the piece here. General International 25-200M1 lathe, Talon chuck.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
John Doe wrote:

You could drill a small hole in the center and chuck a headless screw in the drill to screw into the hole. It may well wobble while spinning. A lathe would be nice, but sometimes you do what you have to do with what you have.
--
 GW Ross

 'Bother,' said Pooh as he disposed of
On 7/2/13 1:35 PM, John Doe wrote:

Glue a 1/2" dowel to the end of the 1" dowel, chuck the 1/2" dowel. Drill 1/2" hole into end and insert/glue 1/2" dowel into hole, chuck 1/2" dowel. Drill and insert a hanger bolt, with the machine threads out, chuck the machine threads.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/2/13 1:35 PM, John Doe wrote:

Glue a 1/2" dowel to the end of the 1" dowel, chuck the 1/2" dowel. Drill 1/2" hole into end and insert/glue 1/2" dowel into hole, chuck 1/2" dowel. Drill and insert a hanger bolt, with the machine threads out, chuck the machine threads.
--

-MIKE-

This probably will do...
Secure a block of wood in a drill press. Drill a 1 inch hole into it. Stick the 1 inch dowel into the hole and drill through the center.
John Doe wrote:

So how will that "shave down" the outside diameter?