how to get smooth surface

I am painting a Aluminum surface with a brush and roller, With a brush, I get little lines from brush, with the roller, it is better,but it is still not smooth as I expected. Is there other tools that make it the paint smoother? Or should I put thinner in the paint to make it more liquid?

thanks Andrew

Reply to
ahgu

do not be cheap! get the 12 dollar sprayer at the auto paint supply store.

Reply to
leonard

you mean the can? paint inside the can? I cannot find the color I find inside the can.

Should I use water based latex paint. or oil based paint? Oil seems smoother.

Reply to
ahgu

when people paint the table top? I don't think they spray.

Reply to
ahgu

It might help if you explain exactly what you're painting. I know you said "table top" but go a bit further and explain in depth.

Reply to
Jeff P.

There is a paint additive for oil based paints called Penetrol. Should be available at the paint store. that should go a long way to level out the brush marks. Also use a good Purdy brush with natural bristle. You might also try the paint pads.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

It may be your technique more than your paint.

Try thinning the paint just a bit more so that if flows smoothly after its on the surface.

Be sure you put enough paint on the surface so that it can flow.

After you have put the paint on, lightly brush the surface at 90 degrees to the direction you applied the paint. Called "tipping off"

The only way to get a purely flat surface is with a spray gun, electrostatic spray, and lots of other equipment.

BTW, I've gotten fairly good results with spray paint out of a can, if you can find the color you like. The good (not the cheapo) paints seem to go on smoothly, and flatten out as they dry. Practice spraying first, there is an art to it.

Walt C

Reply to
WaltC

I believe you mean Floetrol.

Reply to
Dennis Johnson

I am talking about a one time use sprayer. small glass jar with a aerosol sprayhead attached you can put any color you want in it. it will spray all paints with thinning. you can buy them in auto paint supply stores. the people in the stores will sell small amounts of car paint to you too.

Reply to
leonard

these glass jar with a air can on top is really bad, I tried and the paint it spray out has big spots, instead of find mist. I guess the $4 will not match the pro spray gun. It says on the label it is good for your kids bike. Guess not for quality stuff.

-Andrew

Reply to
ahgu

I got great results with them but you have to thin the paint correctly.You may have got a bad one with depleted amounts of propellant.

Reply to
leonard

No I meant Penatrol.. Made by the same folks, but Floetrol is for latex, Penetrol is for oil based.

The OP mentioned thinner so I assumed he had oil based paint.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
nospambob