How To Get Rid Of Your Sawdust

We use it in our chicken house (converted stable) to absorb the chicken poo. After a week or so it gets put on the compost heap and then onto the land to grow our spuds :) Regards, Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff Hartley

That's almost a gloat. In my town, if the recycling is not packaged in precisely the way they like it, the leave the sucker on the curb with a little note telling you why they didn't pick it up- and the reason is never very good (IE, one plastic sandwich bag got in with the plastic bottles, so they leave everything there). At least they don't seem to care about the contents of the garbage anymore since they started using trucks with the big mechanical arm to dump the can.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

No, for a couple of reasons. First, the pH of ash is considerably higher than that of sawdust. With the tendency toward acid soils you have over on your side of the pond that might not seem like a big deal. In an area where the soil is naturally alkaline it makes a considerable difference.

(The rule is: If you want to grow proteas in Arizona, mix a _lot_ of sawdust into the soil.)

The second thing is that sawdust has more nutrients than ash because the fire breaks down a lot of the compounds.

--RC Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

Sarcasm aside Dave, there's actually something to that.

For those folks who are so concerned about global warming, the best thing you can do is plant trees -- preferably long-lived, fast-growing species. If you're in a temperate climate, plant lots and lots of trees.

And if your kids and grandkids can harvest the wood, so much the better.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

In Arizona you're bloody damn right there is! Because that's exactly what we need to do. Desperately.

We lost nearly a quarter of a million acres to fire a couple of years ago and the same thing will happen again and again until we get our forests back to where they should be. And of course this doesn't include all those drought-killed and beetle-killed corpses spread throughout the forest, just waiting to explode into torches.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

Are you sure JOAT? Are you _really_ sure?

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

Another thing to consider is that the sawdust sucks nitrogen from the soil to aid in decomposing. So until the sawdust actually starts breaking down and releasing nitrogen, you have to add it as an amendment to the soil. I added extra nitrogen for about two years and then stopped. I have been adding sawdust to the garden for 10 years now and the soil is a rich black and the worms love it. max

Reply to
max

The City Of Buffalo recently sent out letters informing us that we can no longer put yard waste in with the regular trash. It now has to be put in clear plastic bags and left along side the tote on pickup day. Violator face a $200 fine.

I bought the clear plastic bags and complied with the change. When the city truck pulled up the "lifters" grabbed the yard waste in the clear plastic bags, opened the tote, placed the bags in the tote and then dumped the entire contents in the back of the compactor?

Nova

Grass clippings work very well as an amendment to add nitrogen. Almost any form of 'soft' vegetable matter will work nicely. Algae scooped from a swimming pool or canal works very well, for example.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

... at that point it is time to apply a rule that a rather curmudgeonly (is that a word) mentor would express in various situations: If you have spent more than two seconds worrying about that problem, you have wasted way too much time! In this case he would add, "dump the recycle container into the trash can and get on with life"

... snip

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I think that thay may have to do with the rule of no more than two bags of trash per week (beyond the blue cans), so I took this to be a way to let us throw out as many bags of yard waste as we need to. We usually do 30 - 40 large bags of leaves each fall. Then again, that presumes more thought than we usually see from our city gov't :-)

Reply to
GregP

Or an interim measure until the trucks can be modified.

Reply to
George

Reply to
nospambob

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:13:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com calmly ranted:

That brings a joke to mind...

--snip-- The Facelift A middle aged woman went to her cosmetic surgeon to see what her options were concerning her rapidly sagging face.

"We can give you an old fashioned face-lift, or we can use a new high procedure called The Knob."

"What is the "knob" doctor?" she asked.

"It is a procedure where we install a knob under your hair on the back of your head. We then connect it to the facial muscles which sag, and when you see new wrinkles and sagging, you just tighten the knob a few turns and your skin is nice and tight again."

"Oh, yes! That's what I would like to have," she replied excitedly.

The operation was a complete success, and she looked 15 years younger. As time passed, when she would notice new sagging, she would simply tighten the knob and...voila! Her face was once again beautiful.

One day about 8 years later, she woke up one morning and saw very large bags under her eyes. Alarmed, she called the doctor and reported the bags. "You had better get right over here, and let me check this out!" the doctor replied.

After examining her, he said, "The bags under your eyes are your breasts."

To which she replied, "Well, I guess that explains the goatee!"

--snip--

"Measure once, swear twice." is the newest sign in my shop.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what the city intended, but the clear plastic bag rule's been in place for quite a while, at least a few years.

Reply to
GregP

Well, if compacted, as mentioned by the OP, I'd bet they don't. We have "sheltered workshop" types sorting recyclables in the cities, but they are not compacted into transportable bricks before they do.

Neat trucks disgorge shape-holding lumps which stack into the big double-bottom transport types.

Reply to
George

Until you think about the fact that the compactor or the device that moves the garbage into the back of the truck, then subsequent dumping from said truck is likely to leave very few of those bags intact.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
nospambob

I have the option of either the local compost pile or curb side pickup for my yard waste. I mulch my grass clippings and my leaves are put in my

5x10' enclosed trailer for a trip to the compost pile. I can't even imagine how many bags I would need for curbside pickup of my leaves.

One time, I filled half my garbage can with loose sawdust. The garbage man had a fit because sawdust blew everywhere when the can was dumped. I got a nasty call from the company requesting that my sawdust be bagged.

My garbage hauler burns everything, so sawdust just becomes fule to make electicity.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert