How To Get Rid Of Your Sawdust

Page 2 of 2
Well, if compacted, as mentioned by the OP, I'd bet they don't. We have "sheltered workshop" types sorting recyclables in the cities, but they are not compacted into transportable bricks before they do.
Neat trucks disgorge shape-holding lumps which stack into the big double-bottom transport types.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:40:09 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

Until you think about the fact that the compactor or the device that moves the garbage into the back of the truck, then subsequent dumping from said truck is likely to leave very few of those bags intact.

If memory serves the question arose early in recycling of greenery days and the question was sawdust/shavings and my fear of seeing the stuff flying around the street as it was dumped. First iteration trucks probably didn't have compactors.
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:14:13 -0700, Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:17:45 -0600, Robert Galloway

Why ? Surely the mineral content is much the same as wood ash, and that's all the typical gardener is really going to need.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:32:16 +0000, Andy Dingley

No, for a couple of reasons. First, the pH of ash is considerably higher than that of sawdust. With the tendency toward acid soils you have over on your side of the pond that might not seem like a big deal. In an area where the soil is naturally alkaline it makes a considerable difference.
(The rule is: If you want to grow proteas in Arizona, mix a _lot_ of sawdust into the soil.)
The second thing is that sawdust has more nutrients than ash because the fire breaks down a lot of the compounds.
--RC Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
Another thing to consider is that the sawdust sucks nitrogen from the soil to aid in decomposing. So until the sawdust actually starts breaking down and releasing nitrogen, you have to add it as an amendment to the soil. I added extra nitrogen for about two years and then stopped. I have been adding sawdust to the garden for 10 years now and the soil is a rich black and the worms love it. max

Grass clippings work very well as an amendment to add nitrogen. Almost any form of 'soft' vegetable matter will work nicely. Algae scooped from a swimming pool or canal works very well, for example.
--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
Less the part that you took out of the carbon cycle by making furniture out of it.

Well there ya go. So woodworking is good for the planet. Gotta cut down the trees to save 'em, here, let me explain how this works...

Cut the trees to save the forest.
There's already a bumper sticker for it.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:35:24 +0000, Andy Dingley

My brother-in-law has a forestry degree from Paul Smith College in NY. According to him, they do this all the time. <G>
Barry
Think about it. Can you "preserve" a thing not dead?

Sat, Nov 20, 2004, 8:43am george@least (George) asled" Think about it. Can you "preserve" a thing not dead?
Cher.
Joan Rivers.
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
Phyllis Diller, too, but I think there's a lot of preservative involved there.
(George) asled"

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:49:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Are you sure JOAT? Are you _really_ sure?
--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:13:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com calmly ranted:

That brings a joke to mind... --snip-- The Facelift A middle aged woman went to her cosmetic surgeon to see what her options were concerning her rapidly sagging face.
"We can give you an old fashioned face-lift, or we can use a new high procedure called The Knob."
"What is the "knob" doctor?" she asked.
"It is a procedure where we install a knob under your hair on the back of your head. We then connect it to the facial muscles which sag, and when you see new wrinkles and sagging, you just tighten the knob a few turns and your skin is nice and tight again."
"Oh, yes! That's what I would like to have," she replied excitedly.
The operation was a complete success, and she looked 15 years younger. As time passed, when she would notice new sagging, she would simply tighten the knob and...voila! Her face was once again beautiful.
One day about 8 years later, she woke up one morning and saw very large bags under her eyes. Alarmed, she called the doctor and reported the bags. "You had better get right over here, and let me check this out!" the doctor replied.
After examining her, he said, "The bags under your eyes are your breasts."
To which she replied, "Well, I guess that explains the goatee!" --snip--

"Measure once, swear twice." is the newest sign in my shop.
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:35:24 +0000, Andy Dingley

In Arizona you're bloody damn right there is! Because that's exactly what we need to do. Desperately.
We lost nearly a quarter of a million acres to fire a couple of years ago and the same thing will happen again and again until we get our forests back to where they should be. And of course this doesn't include all those drought-killed and beetle-killed corpses spread throughout the forest, just waiting to explode into torches.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Sarcasm aside Dave, there's actually something to that.
For those folks who are so concerned about global warming, the best thing you can do is plant trees -- preferably long-lived, fast-growing species. If you're in a temperate climate, plant lots and lots of trees.
And if your kids and grandkids can harvest the wood, so much the better.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 04:30:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

We use it in our chicken house (converted stable) to absorb the chicken poo. After a week or so it gets put on the compost heap and then onto the land to grow our spuds :) Regards, Jeff.