How To Get Rid Of Your Sawdust

Page 1 of 2
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/3wdev/VITAHTML/SUBLEV/EN1/SAWDSTOV.HTM
If you don't want to look, it's another type of sawdust stove.
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
If burning the saw dust is considered as a way of protecting the environment then you are better off throwing it away. Or use it as compost.
Daniel
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in message

Um, it'll give off the same amount of CO2 when it rots, Daniel, as when you burn it. Amazingly enough, that's the same amount of CO2 that the tree absorbed into that same wood when it was growing.
CO2 aside. Unless you have a whole lot of it, it's worth more as a soil ammendment than as fuel. Best made into compost with your grass clippings. If you're in the habit of putting your grass clippings out for the trash man, then forget I said anything.
bob g.
Dave Hinz wrote:

It depends on what kind of sawdust you're talking about, though. Walnut would be unwise, and many of the exotics/jungle woods may actually be toxic in a compost situation.

Grass clippings? Trash man? I see your words but am unclear on how the two could be related. You mean there are actually places where yard waste is allowed into the trash collection stream?
Yes and no. Same guys. Marked bags indicating yard waste. Two different streams where we live. (Plymouth, MN) Mine goes into the compost pile with the contents of my dust collector garbage can. Walnut is toxic to a few plants but most not and I think composting takes most of the sting out of it anyway. I don't use a lot of walnut but what I do use, I've never notices any soil sterilizing effect.
bob g.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Ah, right. Around here, if you want to get rid of yard waste, you take it to the local compost yard. You can also get topsoil from the same place, coincidentally enough. Maybe the hassle of hauling it, combined with the "you're gonna compost it anyway, so you might as well do it yourself" might help to educate people. Then again, probably not.

I'm not willing to risk it, with the walnut especially. I tend to use a lot of it, since I have that big stack in the basement - 500 or so BF left from an auction a few years back (already gloated here so this mention doesn't count, I think). If I could burn it for heat, I think I'd prefer to do so. Far as the environmental effects of the smoke or whatever, well, I'm up 10,000 trees or so in my planted-vs-cut score, so I pretty much don't care.
Dave Hinz

I have the option of either the local compost pile or curb side pickup for my yard waste. I mulch my grass clippings and my leaves are put in my 5x10' enclosed trailer for a trip to the compost pile. I can't even imagine how many bags I would need for curbside pickup of my leaves.
One time, I filled half my garbage can with loose sawdust. The garbage man had a fit because sawdust blew everywhere when the can was dumped. I got a nasty call from the company requesting that my sawdust be bagged.
My garbage hauler burns everything, so sawdust just becomes fule to make electicity.
Brian Elfert

sure. when i demo'd my bathroom; concrete, tiles, wallboard. palm tree cuttings when i bothered to trim them, etc all went into the weekly pickup. granted they have weight limits, but i bent those pretty heavily (no pun intended) when i disposed of the concrete bed that was under the wall tiles.
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:42:08 -0700, Charles Spitzer

Well, most of that is trash, after all. I remember when we remodeled our upstairs bedroom when I was a teen; the limit was 2 bags of construction waste per week, per house. Operative phrase there was "per house...".
When you're the paperboy, people don't notice you walking around early in the morning with bags of construction waste, I have found. I'm sure the garbage men knew what was going on, but as many of the houses were "participating" in the "share the trash" program, they wouldn't know where it was really from.

My home town will take ANYTHING I put out except for huge amounts of concrete or stone. Anything else is a go.
I haven't tried used motor oil (and won't becuase it is simply stupid) but I've seen the elderly neighbor do it and cringed... Our local garbage pick up is amazing. If you have a LOT of stuff like a full house worth of demolition or old furniture, etc. then you call them before noon the day prior and they send a separate truck just for you.
And... It's all included in my super-low NJ taxes. <grin>
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
V8013
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:26:30 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"

That's almost a gloat. In my town, if the recycling is not packaged in precisely the way they like it, the leave the sucker on the curb with a little note telling you why they didn't pick it up- and the reason is never very good (IE, one plastic sandwich bag got in with the plastic bottles, so they leave everything there). At least they don't seem to care about the contents of the garbage anymore since they started using trucks with the big mechanical arm to dump the can.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

... at that point it is time to apply a rule that a rather curmudgeonly (is that a word) mentor would express in various situations: If you have spent more than two seconds worrying about that problem, you have wasted way too much time! In this case he would add, "dump the recycle container into the trash can and get on with life"
... snip
We used to give our sawdust to the stables. They take most kinds but do not want Walnut. Sometimes they would pick it up and sometimes we would deliver. We also found that our local lumberyard had a huge Dust Collector and would allow us to dump our dust in with theirs. max

AYUP, summy So. Calif. coast has separate container colored green for yard waste that gets picked up weekly along with the refuse/recycle split container. Refuse, kitchen waste mostly, ends up being an amazingly small volume compared to the size prior to recycle and yard waste being included.

" snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote:

The City Of Buffalo recently sent out letters informing us that we can no longer put yard waste in with the regular trash. It now has to be put in clear plastic bags and left along side the tote on pickup day. Violator face a $200 fine.
I bought the clear plastic bags and complied with the change. When the city truck pulled up the "lifters" grabbed the yard waste in the clear plastic bags, opened the tote, placed the bags in the tote and then dumped the entire contents in the back of the compactor?

I think that thay may have to do with the rule of no more than two bags of trash per week (beyond the blue cans), so I took this to be a way to let us throw out as many bags of yard waste as we need to. We usually do 30 - 40 large bags of leaves each fall. Then again, that presumes more thought than we usually see from our city gov't :-)
Or an interim measure until the trucks can be modified.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what the city intended, but the clear plastic bag rule's been in place for quite a while, at least a few years.
I asked the city about a similar situation, something inside bags, and got "There are people on the conveyor belt that pull the bags off" that made sense to me at the time.