How to get rid of loud shop vac whistle??

Appreciate the assistance in advance. Niel
Only way you're going to get rid of it is probably by investing in a new shop cleaner. You can cut it down a bit by getting one of the Rigid shop mufflers but hardly the worth it.
There are always the ear protectors you can wear........but look here first......
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/shop-vac-reviews/index.html
Bob S.

Well, at least I know about the Rigid shop muffler thanks to you. I will check out the link you have given me. Thanks, Niel

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:14:27 -0400,

Howdy,
Are you wearing good hearing protection?
All the best,
--
Kenneth

WHAT????
Niel wrote:

How big is your shop vac? Is it a true Shop-Vac brand or another?
Is it a shrill whistle in a frequency range that hurts you hair? I have found one of two causes:
1) a small piece of thin wood lodged in the hose that must vibrate or otherwise cause the sound.
2) a small hole or gap between the hose and the end fitting.
Wiggle your hose around to see if you can dislodge something. You might also try pusing a smaller hose, like a garden hose through the vacuum hose.
RonB
Last time I "pused" a small hose, I was in a hospital bed after surgery.
Bob
On 12 Sep 2005 20:46:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Howdy,
You and I are on the same channel...
He also suggested that the OP "Wiggle your hose around to see if you can dislodge something." <g>
All the best,
--
Kenneth

RonB, It is painfully shrill to the ear. I will use your suggestions. Thanks, Niel

I have one of the Ridgid mufflers, and it helps a little. I always wear hearing protection. I've found that strapping a piece of open cell foam over the top of the motor quiets the whine a little, and keeps the exhaust fan from blowing more dust into my face. It's thin enough and porous enough that it doesn't overheat the motor, even when run for extended time periods. I've heard of some people building a box for their shopvac out of thin plywood or hardboard, or even pegboard for more ventilation. Supposedly this helps a lot with noise. I'd guess that enclosing the shopvac in a cardboard box would help, if it was exactly the right size and the wheels could stick through the bottom. Probably wouldn't last very long, though. Good luck, Andy
Andy, Thanks for the great details!! I'll shortly get back in the shop and use some of your suggestions. Niel

The whistle. Is it there without the hose attached? While make dust collection collars for some routers I found that if the flow was restricted too much, a very high pitch whistle resulted. As another said , make sure the hose is clean. JG
Niel wrote:

Wow!!
I'm impressed with all the great responses!! Got a good laugh with the humor from some. I do wear good hearing protection in the shop. Still want to get rid of the whistle. My wife can hear it upstairs. I will take all the suggestions seriously and am greatly appreciative of the generous responses.
I will clear the hoses and also check for the whistle with hose unattached. Niel

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:01:18 -0400,

Howdy,
I was one of those commenting on the hearing protection.
It is now clear that you need two pair of such... <g>
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Thanks for the laugh!!! The two pairs would have to be for me. My wife wouldn't wear hearing protection. She uses a loud vacuum cleaner and in spite of my suggestion to protect her ears, she won't do so. Niel
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:12:36 -0400, Kenneth

JGS, will do. Thanks. Niel

Absolutly hands down best method of removing loud shop vac and all other high pitch and most low pitch noises is to contract Rubella as a child and slowly loose you hearing over the decades so that by the time you have an interest in woodworking, all the racket everyone else complains about is not noticable. Every cloud :)