How to get a 198 lb bandsaw off the truck?

Page 3 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Yeah, probably. My *dad* is 54. I'm 32, I guess. My wife is 36. Cradle robber.
Silvan wrote:

FWIW, I met a fellow a while back who dated Raquel Welch (not just his tale--several other people I knew had seen them together). That was pretty much his assessment of her.

Hope all goes or went well.

--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I dated Raquel Welch. That's the ticket.
(I guess most of you won't get that. I was talking to some of my wife's relations who are roughly the same age I am. None of us have any idea what's going on with SNL anymore, and since that was a SNL reference from my youth, you geezers probably have nary a clue what I'm yammering about. Oh well.)
"Hi ... I'm from the Pathological Liar's Association of America"
(glances left and right, then stage whispers)
"In fact ... I'm the President!"
Nah, don't remember any of that.

<snip>
I had one piece of equipment (my bandsaw) held at the trucking company for pickup. Then I asked a friend who owns a truck to arrange for pickup. I got another beefy friend to go with us and the three of use got it off the truck with little hassle and into my shop. Another time I rented a truck with a lift. It helps to own a 1000-lb hand truck and dolly.
ranted:

HF has their liftgate on sale for half price right now. Drive the pickup up to the back of the freight trailer, lower it down, then use the $199 HF liftgate to get it the other two feet down. ;)
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------

If the driver won't help and you have a pickup, do the following:
Back the pickup up to the rear of the big rig. Slide the saw from the rig into the pickup bed. Drive the pickup back into the driveway. Slide the saw off the pickup bed onto the ground.
FWIW, 198 pounds isn't that heavy. (2) 2x6x12's would let you slide the saw easily from the rig deck to the ground quite easily. You can drive nails though the boards into the pavement or ground to keep the boards in place. Most drivers would help you stabilize the package as it slides down the ramp. The two of you would be standing on the ground.
I got my 265 pound bandsaw package out of my trailer and into the shop alone, but I'm 220-230 lbs. <G>
Have fun with the new tool!
Barry
My local hardware store rents out equipment, and he showed me a powered hand truck he uses for moving heavy items, like a 400 pound safe, going up or down stairs.
It's a 2-wheeled hand truck, but when you turn on the switch, the lift end moves up and down.
p.s. is this one piece? My jet came it two boxes.
Barry ...
<<FWIW, 198 pounds isn't that heavy. (2) 2x6x12's would let you slide the saw easily from the rig deck to the ground quite easily. You can drive nails though the boards into the pavement or ground to keep the boards in place. Most drivers would help you stabilize the package as it slides down the ramp. The two of you would be standing on the ground.
I got my 265 pound bandsaw package out of my trailer and into the shop alone, but I'm 220-230 lbs. <G> >>
It must depend on how that 220-230 lbs is distributed. <g> That's about how much I weigh too but, while it took just the two of us to load my (formerly your) jointer (about 265 lbs worth, I'm guessing) onto my van, I needed to trick .. er, recruit ... two warm bodies to help me unload it.
Lee

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:24:28 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

Your van's door and the fact that we didn't want to pick it up by the tables did make things interesting!
The band saw was boxed and about the side of a dorm fridge.
The more tools you get, the more friends will get caller ID, trust me. <G>
Barry
Lee Gordon wrote:

about
van, I

it.
Lee...
I seem to recall, however, that it took you nearly a month to recruit those warm bodies, while your jointer languished -- lovely word, languished -- in the back of said van. I think I even read about it somewhere. <g>
A.J.

When I was about 185 (15 years and 50 pounds ago), I moved a spinet piano, refrigerator, and washer and dryer by myself. Just me and my little '89 Nissan Hardbody pickup, a few milk crates, and some creative thinking. :-)
We gave that same piano to some friends for Christmas last year. It took four of us to move it out of the pickup, down the sidewalk, and up the (narrow!) stairs to their second floor apartment.
Kevin
Kevin Craig wrote:

That brings back memories! It wasn't a Nissan, but an Isuzu of similar vintage.
me: "Don't you think we ought to tie this down somehow?"
friend: "Nah, it will be OK. I don't have any rope."
WHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUNNGK!!!!!
Piano parts everywhere. It dented up his truck too. Helping a friend move a piano. We made it all the way across town with the stupid thing, and then he cut a corner too close and ran over a 2" curb. That was all she wrote for the poor pie-anner.
It was hard not to laugh. It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen, on one level, though a tragedy on another. Like so many cartoons brought to life. The sound effect they use in cartoons just doesn't really capture it.
Silvan responds:

Oof. I don't understand why people with pick-ups, who actually use them once in a while as pick-ups, don't go to Northern or a similar place and grab a couple, three, four of the 2" wide straps. I've got 4, adjustable but not ratcheting (I don't like the ratcheting). If you hook something with those, then pull them tight, and they turn over, the truck is also going to be on its top.
Of course, I've got a piano eating space in the dining room--eating eating space?--that was going to a local high school. But the local high school gave the piano's space to the athletic department.
There's some sense of local priorities in that tale, except that this school has had 27 losing years in a row in every sport I can recall...
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Charlie Self wrote:

Sounds like maybe they should give up sports and teach more kids how to play the pie-anner.
This guy's dad was with him too. His dad is pretty inept. He almost killed me with a chainsaw once. One of those guys who made a good living and lived in a froofy, exclusive neighborhood, and had a bunch of exotic, high-dollar toys around, but he thought being someone who made a good living and living in a froofy, exclusive neighborhood, and having a bunch of exotic, high-dollar toys around somehow granted him the ability to use the things without bothering to learn anything about them. You know the type. Full 2,000-piece set of Snap-On tools in the shop, honking compressor with air system, but he has to pay someone to change his oil because he can't quite figure out how to do it.
The fact that those two lost a piano off the back of a truck really didn't come as that much of a surprise to me. :)
Silvan wrote:

I don't know, maybe the extra room will be just the motivation they need? :)
Duane Bozarth responds:

More likely an extra place to hide out.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Clearly, the piano had put on weight over those years. What else could explain it?
My Grizzly GO555 was just delivered couple weeks ago. The tractor trailor pulled up in front of the house and we were waiting on it. The driver wheeled it to the back of the trailor, and before I could get the hand truck out of the shop and to the truck, my friend and the driver had it on the ground. They just tilted it and slid it off the bed and lowered it to the ground. It was no problem at all. We tilted it over and slid the base of the hand truck under it, and wheeled it into the shop. The driver did not have to, but he helped get it off the back of the truck and into the shop, off the hand truck and laid over onto the floor. There was a small tear in the cardboard of the container and he wanted us to open it to make sure there was no problem with the contents. It all arrived in perfect condition, The styrofoam had protected to saw from any damage. Was a lot easier to get off than I had expected. I was also worried about getting it off the truck and into the shop. There was no problem at all. Very easy to do. The drivers are good at helping get the trucks unloaded. You will need help getting it all assembled. Base is built first, then the saw is lifted up and attached to the base. I also got the riser block and took the saw apart before putting on the base, then assembled the riser then put the saw back together. Again, you will need help here too. If you are getting a roll-around base, it is easier to assemble that and put on base before the rest of the assembly, though mine arrived after I put the saw together. I put the saw onto the base by myself by levering the saw up onto 2 2X4's and tilting the sawand sliding the base under it, then sliding the saw the rest of the way onto the base. Be careful, it is a little tipsy like that, but was easy to do. CC

C C wrote:

That's because we want to go HOME. :)