How to get a 198 lb bandsaw off the truck?

I've had similar experiences... It seems like the more prepared you appear the more willing the driver is to help.

If its just a G555 though it won't be any problem. I picked one up at Grizzly, and my wife and I unloaded it off of our pickup without problem. Worst case, be ready to open it and take out as pieces... Scott

Reply to
Scott Wilson

Barry ...

Reply to
Lee Gordon

placed an old tire below the back of his truck and gently guided the package down (I was watching from my garage).

Now you know how to get 50 gallon drums of oil off of the truck and onto the ground. Tire on the ground, drop the drum onto it's side, roll off the truck onto the tire, which is placed off center to the drum and the drum pops up off of the tire onto the ground and you roll into your shop.....

Reply to
Rumpty

Griz used Oak Harbor Freight for my G1012 (18" bandsaur) and he unloaded it with his liftgate without being asked. I didn't arrange for a liftgate but they provided one. Your trucking company might also. Otherwise, wax up a tubaten and you + the trucker can easily slide 'er down to the ground. OR pop the crate open, remove the sub-100 lb pieces (motor, frame) individually, then drop the lighter crate off the truck. It only takes a couple minutes. Hand-truck 'em inside as he drives off.

I used a milk crate for leverage to get my heavy casting up onto the stand so I could assemble the entire bandsaw by myself that afternoon. It took about an hour as there was very little cosmolene to remove.

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Your van's door and the fact that we didn't want to pick it up by the tables did make things interesting!

The band saw was boxed and about the side of a dorm fridge.

The more tools you get, the more friends will get caller ID, trust me.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:22:00 GMT, Phisherman calmly ranted:

HF has their liftgate on sale for half price right now. Drive the pickup up to the back of the freight trailer, lower it down, then use the $199 HF liftgate to get it the other two feet down. ;)

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

You also might consider a little something nice for the driver like a little package of the Mrs.' cookies or a nice cup of coffee or something like that.

When I was driving a truck I delivered a load of 30 sacks (150#) of coffee beans to an independent coffee roaster and he filled my thermos with some fresh brewed java. This made a real nice gesture and I didn't feel so bad about lugging those heavy sacks.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yes, it's the one in PA. The showroom is actually in the Muncy Mall, about

10-15mi East of Williamsport. I can't really help you too much on the area, as I'm only somewhat familiar with it. My daughter's in-laws live in Duboisetown, one of the Wlmsport suburbs.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Joe,

I live about 1.5 hours North of Lewisburg. One of our sister companies is in Lewisburg so I've spent a fair amount of time there. Email me at snipped-for-privacy@ctenterprises.org with your questions and I'll be glad to answer what I can. If I can't answer them, I'll direct you to some of the people that actually live down there.

Bryan

Reply to
DamnYankeeBastard

[snip]

Since you are a truck driver, could you tell me if the truck typically used for this would have a slot at the back edge into which I might hook a ramp

-- like U-haul trucks have? Maybe not for this delivery, but if I get any heavier stuff coming and I do rig up a ramp.

Also, I noticed that no one in this thread suggested a tip -- dollars, that is. Coffee, cookies, but no cash. Maybe it's because I live in a large metro area.

TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

That IS impressive. Wonder if it would work for a jointer?

Reply to
igor

From which companies did you make the purchases where the trucking companies were good? And, what part of the country are you in? (I'm near DC.) TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

This is a lot more replies than I had expected -- one never knows. All very helpful. Thanks everyone.

A couple of comments. I did call Grizzly and they said that it is OK to lay the box on its side. As a couple of people noted, it apparently even ships on its side. I live in a rowhouse in a metro area, so its not quite suburban and certainly not country. (For example, Fedex and UPS have standing orders from me (which they sometimes forget) to leave nothing at the door if no one is here.) OTOH, many of the suggestions made me think back to the suburban house I grew up in, with my Dad's garage workshop right at driveway level -- drive up and drop.

I am hopeful that the driver will provide at least some basic help, and as noted by many, 198# is rather manageable. But I always like to be prepared in case, for whatever reason, he is content to do nothing. My experience, to date, even with companies that say "curb-side only" is that the drivers do help. I got one delivery that was about 3K pounds in 70 pound packages and unexpectedly the driver took one for about everyone I took - including

6 steps up to the front porch. Tools go up just two steps from the sidewalk and then down 7 to the basement. Having a hand truck with large air-filled tires - versus the small hard wheels - helps a lot both up and down.

Again, thanks for all of the observations and anecdotes. And for those of you who wrestled the tools with your wife's help, I am especially impressed. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Mine came by FedEx, the little lady driver loaded it onto her handcart and rolled it into the shop. Real nice about it, too. Refused any help.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

No. The only trucks that typically have something like that are household goods trailers and some reefers. Some trucks used for local P&D stuff (pickup and delivery) have lift gates. Some do not. YMMV.

Cash is cool. I used to have a regular stop where the guy would do seven kinds of dicking me around before finally getting the truck unloaded. He would slip me $25, and I would smile and go on my merry way behind schedule but somehow in a good mood anyway. :)

Having shapely women loitering around is a bonus too. :)

Reply to
Silvan

When I was about 185 (15 years and 50 pounds ago), I moved a spinet piano, refrigerator, and washer and dryer by myself. Just me and my little '89 Nissan Hardbody pickup, a few milk crates, and some creative thinking. :-)

We gave that same piano to some friends for Christmas last year. It took four of us to move it out of the pickup, down the sidewalk, and up the (narrow!) stairs to their second floor apartment.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

That brings back memories! It wasn't a Nissan, but an Isuzu of similar vintage.

me: "Don't you think we ought to tie this down somehow?"

friend: "Nah, it will be OK. I don't have any rope."

WHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUNNGK!!!!!

Piano parts everywhere. It dented up his truck too. Helping a friend move a piano. We made it all the way across town with the stupid thing, and then he cut a corner too close and ran over a 2" curb. That was all she wrote for the poor pie-anner.

It was hard not to laugh. It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen, on one level, though a tragedy on another. Like so many cartoons brought to life. The sound effect they use in cartoons just doesn't really capture it.

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan responds:

Oof. I don't understand why people with pick-ups, who actually use them once in a while as pick-ups, don't go to Northern or a similar place and grab a couple, three, four of the 2" wide straps. I've got 4, adjustable but not ratcheting (I don't like the ratcheting). If you hook something with those, then pull them tight, and they turn over, the truck is also going to be on its top.

Of course, I've got a piano eating space in the dining room--eating eating space?--that was going to a local high school. But the local high school gave the piano's space to the athletic department.

There's some sense of local priorities in that tale, except that this school has had 27 losing years in a row in every sport I can recall...

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

This has been most interesting thread to watch.... Let us know what happened when it was delivered!

When is it due in any case?

Reply to
Fred Bassett

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 03:01:04 GMT, igor calmly ranted:

Jointer crates are a teensy bit less round, Igor.

And I consider cast iron to be a bit more brittle than oil on most days, anyway.

------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - *

Larry Jaques