How to get a 198 lb bandsaw off the truck?

Page 2 of 4

I'd recommend one of those one-person dollys used to move pianos. I moved my own large upright piano by myself using one: across the living room, down the steps, up a reinforced ply ramp and into the truck, and I'm no weight lifter. It has wheels and tracks down the side.
igor wrote:

It's not the weight. 198 pounds is really rather trivial as stuff that ships on trucks goes. (I'm a truck driver. I shove things off the ass end of my truck all day long.)
The problem getting 198 pounds to the ground without a lift gate is with the length of the box. If you have a box about 6' long that weighs 400 pounds, it's not too difficult a matter to shove it off the truck and lever it down to the ground, using the edge of the trailer itself as the fulcrum to take up most of the weight (being careful not to snag it on door hooks and whatnot). If the box is only 3' long, then it gets bitchy. There's not much for it but to put somebody (or a pair of somebodys) on the ground to more or less try to hold it up and lower it slowly, rather than letting it plummet with a big clunk.
I would guess the bandsaw box is probably at the bitchy end of the spectrum, but 198 pounds isn't too much for two people to handle. The driver should help hold it up from his end while you lower it. Once you get it on the ground, it should be no problem to hand truck it around.
Or maybe he has a liftgate. I guess that will become apparent when he gets there.
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 02:00:39 -0500, Silvan

"Give me a lever long enough and I can move the earth."
Try a plywood ramp and a pulley system. Been there too. Ease it down at your own pace, using one hand if the system has several pulleys.
You also might consider a little something nice for the driver like a little package of the Mrs.' cookies or a nice cup of coffee or something like that.
When I was driving a truck I delivered a load of 30 sacks (150#) of coffee beans to an independent coffee roaster and he filled my thermos with some fresh brewed java. This made a real nice gesture and I didn't feel so bad about lugging those heavy sacks.
--

Roger Shoaf

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 02:00:39 -0500, Silvan

[snip]
Since you are a truck driver, could you tell me if the truck typically used for this would have a slot at the back edge into which I might hook a ramp -- like U-haul trucks have? Maybe not for this delivery, but if I get any heavier stuff coming and I do rig up a ramp.
Also, I noticed that no one in this thread suggested a tip -- dollars, that is. Coffee, cookies, but no cash. Maybe it's because I live in a large metro area.
TIA. -- Igor
igor wrote:

No. The only trucks that typically have something like that are household goods trailers and some reefers. Some trucks used for local P&D stuff (pickup and delivery) have lift gates. Some do not. YMMV.

Cash is cool. I used to have a regular stop where the guy would do seven kinds of dicking me around before finally getting the truck unloaded. He would slip me $25, and I would smile and go on my merry way behind schedule but somehow in a good mood anyway. :)
Having shapely women loitering around is a bonus too. :)
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:51:42 -0500, Silvan

Cash is always cool.

Yabbut it's extremely dangerous to be rigging AFTER all the blood has left your upper head.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

Nah. I haven't been 13 for a long time. I figured out a long time ago that anybody who looks really nice almost always has an equal and opposite personality anyway. I just like to look. SWMBO lets me look. No problem. She knows I couldn't get any of that if my life depended on it anyway. She has intentionally avoided fixing my lack of appeal to women to keep me all to herself. :)
(Damn I hope the hospital calls soon. She was due out of surgery two hours ago!)
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:29:14 -0500, Silvan

True, true. Remember that calypso song from the late 60s? "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife." It's still true.

Har! Unfortunately, I grok that in its entirety.

Smart gal, that one.

Best wishes on a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Give her a gentle hug for me.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:47:13 -0500, Silvan

Oh, ditto here, by about 1.25".

Sounds like you've "got chub". You're not suppposed to have that until you're at least 40.

Um, pass. I want to touch the beauty queen instead. Lots, firmly. ;)

No doubt, and she's prolly a real shrew, too. Better off without.

Good luck on that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Larry Jaques wrote:

Or until you start driving a truck for a living. My arms and legs are in GREAT shape, but my belly not so much. I can't lose it either. I've been watching what I eat and keeping my activity level up for years, and it isn't coming off. At least I'm not gaining.
Or I wasn't gaining until my wife's troubles started. I can't really say that anymore. I've put on 20 pounds, and not because of holiday eating.

Nah. I guess not. No use.

Yup.
Yeah, I know, but this isn't a good time for me to be cynical Larry.
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:11:28 -0500, Silvan

holy shit! I'm *that* much older than you?

Darn infants! Born 11/10/36
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Hey, hey, hey!! You're exactly 30 years younger than the Marine Corps - to the day!! ;-)
    mahalo,     jo4hn
p.s. and exactly 10 years older than Maggy, but don't tell her I told...

until
I didn't remember the age of the Marine Corps, but I knew it was the same birthday. When I was on the USS Salem, we had a contingent of Marines as the Admirals Guard(6th fleet flagship). I got to know some of them, and due to my birthday, got pretty close(able to sneak extra time in the tailor shop to press uniforms & so on when they had their hours, etc.) Pulled liberty with a bunch of them on my 21st in Beirut, didn't have to buy a drink all night.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Hint: it wasn't *19*06 to which jo4hn was referring. ;-)
But by way of trivia, it wasn't '06 in any century. The Marines were formed by act of the Second Continental Congress on 10 November 1775.
Kevin
Kevin Craig wrote:

I stand corrected. It was only 24 years younger. ;-)     j4
Norm Crow responds:

Old fart. October 10, 1938.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:51:39 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Crikey Nahmie, you're nearly an oxygenarian!
Groggy (who's but a pup in celestial years)
Norman D. Crow wrote:

You're not old enough to be my grandfather, so I guess you're not a geezer.