How to fold a bandsaw blade

Page 2 of 2
Wallspace.

Why store screws in a container rather than leave them loose on a bench top. It saves room and lessens the danger of the blade being damaged.
good post Chips. Thanks.
thom

That's about how I do it - for longer blades, I do another twist so there are actually 5 loops. I think it's pretty funny that he talks about safety protection and holds up a face shield, but then while he's coiling the blade, you see the face shield sitting on the ground beside him. I know you it's better for the microphone with the shield off, and I think he wore glasses, but it's interesting nonetheless. Andy

I've always found the unfolding to be much more dramatic.
Good post and method. A little different than the way that I do it, but it still works.
The part I would leave out is where he has it coiled and procedues to "work" the coil to be as neat as possible, all the while banging and grinding the teeth against each other and the blade body.
jc

I liked the part where he puts the finished coil into a plastic ziplock bag. I had visions of him putting it in the freezer or refigerator. Or into a dresser drawer. This guy must be a major neatnik.
You are right. There is no way that the blade would benefit from all that manipulation he did after he coiled it. What happened to that old trick of just hanging it from a nail?
On May 17, 10:44 am, "Lee Michaels"

I like to use those large paperclips bc

I don't know, I use two of those little wire twist ties you get with sandwich bags, one at the top and one at the bottom and hang it on a nail. Seems to work just fine.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.verizon.net says...

Masking tape works just fine, too, when it's the only handy thing...
-P.

Depends on the tape. Some tapes eventually fail and you don't want to be anywhere close to a bandsaw blade that suddenly opens explosively. Some leave residue on the blade that will pick up sawdust and may slip off the wheel. If you use a good, high quality tape, I don't know that you'd have any problem though but I'd prefer using something that isn't going to fail and isn't going to leave anything sticky on the blade to begin with.
Shouldn't be any problem if the tape does fail. No force is necessary to hold a blade in the folded position. The worst that would happen is the tape falls off.

CW wrote:

Pipe cleaners! Easy on, easy off, and reusable if you don't let them close to the dust collector intake.
One pack from the local Walgreen's smoker's section and you're good for a loooong time. Still working on the pack I bought around 1985.

tape
Good thought. The original twist tie. Used to get used for this kind of application a lot when pipes were more prevalent.
CW wrote:

Forgot to mention the anther use in the shop...
I recently reglued a half dozen dining room chairs for our daughter. El cheapo, Ikea specials or something similar they picked up on Craigslist or somesuch that had been racked till they were ready to collapse.
Pipe cleaners were really great for getting just enough TBIII into the mortise joints. Works like a charm and toss them when done.

The blade will naturally coil evenly if you simply let it wiggle a bit. It does not take much effort and does not harm the blade in any way.
YouTube folding a bandsaw blade
Hey, great one. Thanks for sharing it. I've got one to fold - been waiting for months.
Any idea how to save that video to one's HD for later use?