How to fix broken particle board.

I have a heavy chest made out of veneered particle board. A friend tried to move it by pulling up on the top, and the top just ripped off, taking some of the particle board with it.

I would like to fix it up, but am not sure how. I don't want to fill the holes because drilling new holes accurately would be tough, but I can't think of any way to repair the particle board except by filling the whole thing with epoxy putty.

Or maybe it is an exercise in futility because any patch will have inadequate bonding to the particle board to matter.

Will drywall screws hold in particle board? Maybe I should use completely new holes and not bother to fix the old ones.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
toller

Can you put "T" nuts behind the holes and use machine screws? That is really the best way to put Pboard together although I hate the stuff.

Reply to
Greg

No, that would put them on the top surface. Thanks anyhow.

Reply to
toller

Assuming that the veneer is still intact, router out an oversized section in the P B and glue in a corresponding thickness and size patch of pine. The glue should adhere to both materials and give you a new base for the screws.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

That is your answer! Greg

Reply to