How to fix a hinge mortise?

I mortised some hinges. I got them pretty good, but not perfect; there are is a small space on each hinge.

Presumably I can fill the space in with filler, but I am reluctant to do it and remove the hinge to sand, as the hinge might pull some of the filler away. But if I do it and don't remove the hinge to sand, I am afraid of sanding the hinge.

Other than 1) mortise more carefully or 2) sand very carefully; does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Toller

A sixteenth? An eighth? A thirty-second?

Use the color-matched Famowood if you don't want to find a matching slice of wood to glue in. It sets up in very few moments...then won't "pull away." Stains well and takes a finish.

Tool it into the gap well and, for speed, smooth (almost hardly necessary considering the probable size of the gap) with a cabinet scraper to make missing the hinge quite easy. Or wait a few, remove the hinge and sand it down.

Don't be so hard on yourself?

Measure twice, cut once?

Use a sharper and harder pencil...or knife?

Live and learn?

Cut them a little tight the next time and work out?

Reply to
Wm Jones

Less than a sixteenth at worst.

Yeh, I have a scraper; that is a good idea.

Ah, if only I could do that I would be a happy man!

I measured repeatedly, but the surfaces I am hinging together are not perfectly straight. I cut them at a 45 angle and they hit the motor and jumped. I have got them mated pretty well, but it made cutting the mortise a bit of a challenge.

Reply to
Toller

Get the Lie-Nielsen No.40B Butt Mortise Plane With sharp chisels and iron makes mortising hinge gains super easy and fast.

Good Luck...if we were all perfect wouldn't life be boring?

Practice makes perfect.

A craftsman is just one who can repair his (or anyone else's) mistakes.

Reply to
Wm Jones

"Toller" wrote in news:xnHgc.2034$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

What's the story on how you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, man, practice!

That having been said, without seeing a picture, and fresh from the experience of morticing butt hinges myself, there are often good opportunities for patching around hinges, since they are by default, behind a lid or door.

A Normite would have used a trim router and template, and probably just trimmed a bit deeply. A sliver of shim material under the leaf of the hinge would likely suffice, and be unobtrusive. DAMHIKT.

A Neander would have trimmed carefully with chisels, and, or course, never have made a mistake in the first place.

An accolyte of St Roy whould have either carved or forged his own hinges, and would simply indicate that great uncle Wilbur designed it that way, and called it good.

Mike would have trained one of his forest animals to cut the mortices.

So how did you go about it?

This winter, I drove up to Fort Bragg, California, to see the gallery show at College of the Redwoods, the program that Jim Krenov ran for several decades. When you visit the shop, you notice that there is a sort of a garden area, with picnic tables & such outside. The fire pit there it seems isn't just for warming one's self on a foggy Friday evening....

Patriarch, who may be just a wee bit hypocritical in preaching patience.....

Reply to
patriarch

I second the Lie Nelson 40B. It is a delight to use!

Another possibility is to remove the hinges, fill the mortises with a thin piece of the same wood as the jamb/door, smooth, and remortise. A bit more work but gives a nice, barely noticeable job.

Reply to
Jim Artherholt

Wax the hinge.

Reply to