How to Finish Parawood???

We have 6 unfinished chairs, made of parawood. We tried waterbased, oil based, and gel stains but they don't seem to penetrate the wood. The stain sits on top of the wood and never seems to dry completely.

Has anyone had any experience with this and any suggestions for our refinishing efforts?

Thanks!

Reply to
foofoo

Parawood (it's a rubber tree after it can no longer produce the latex) is normally fairly easy to stain (density is somewhere between ash and birch). Are you sure there isn't some sort of coating on these chairs?

Reply to
Odinn