how to fasten cultured marble top (slightly OT)

Even though this is slightly OT for this ng, the helpful advice on this ng is admired and valued. I have removed the rotted wood top and sewing machine from an old Singer treadle sewing machine and am going to replace the wood top with a piece of one inch thick cultured marble and use it as a table. There are four screw holes (one at each corner) in the cast iron chassis. Any suggestions as to how I can securely fasten the cultured marble top to the four cast iron posts? I know I can drill the cultured marble using masonry bits, but doubt will the resulting holes will take threads from metal screws. Suggestions appreciated.
Michael S.
Michael S. wrote:

Drill a hole about 3/4" (no more!) into the 1" marble, Epoxy in a dowel, then use wood screw to mount it.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Ed--yours and a couple of related ideas were excellent--THANKS!!!

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:17:52 -0600, "Michael S."

get some elevator bolts. they have a large head that is flat on top. epoxy them to the underside of the top and use a nut and washer to secure them to the base.

Adhesive. The plastic top is stable, so no worries about warping.
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:17:52 -0600, "Michael S."

attach a wood frame to the legs with screws then use silicon caulk or liquid nails to glue the marble to that. no risk of busting the top that way. drilling marble can be tricky and expensive if it does not work out.