How to ensure a square L-shaped cut

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I am just starting out in woodworking and have acquired all the major hand and power tools for my workshop. I am starting out with the basics and need to make some safety jigs. However, I didn't realize that even making a basic cut is challenging.
Let's say I want to ensure a square L-shaped cut, like the bottom of a table saw push shoe jig shown here:
http://www.provenwoodworking.com/images/push-shoe.jpg
Assume that I have access to all the hand and power tools available. What is the best method and set of tool(s) to use to make such a simple cut? I could only come up with two methods: one involves cutting the long portion using a table saw, up to about 1 inch away from the corner of the next cut, then using a bandsaw or hand saw to cut the the rest. The second method would use a stacked dadoe blade and doing multiple cuts perpendicular to the face of the board.
Or maybe I can use a router but then how do I handle the corner?
I am sure many of you have made this kind of cut before hundreds of times. What method do you use to guarantee that the end result is a square and flat cut?
I would appreciate any tips and advice on how to handle this basic cut.

chuck
On 8/22/2009 10:03 AM JMP Tech Guy spake thus:

Bingo. If you don't have a bandsaw (I don't, wish I had one, hate everyone who does), just use a handsaw to finish the cut. Since this is just a jig, the cut doesn't have to be precise and surgically clean, but with care, it is possible to get such a cut, say if the piece were part of a piece of furniture.
Think simple, not about obtaining more exotic tools and jigs.

JMP Tech Guy wrote:

With table saw, make the short cut with miter gauge, raise blade to max, make long cut as far past short cut as necessary to release piece. That assumes the stock is thick enough that a bit of over cutting doesn't matter. Alternatively, make long cut to the short cut, finish long cut on bandsaw. _______________

1. Chisel
2. Hand saw ____________

For what you are making, I wouldn't want it square, would prefer a slightly acute angle. I'd make that angle by gluing a bit of thin (1/8"?) stock about an inch long at the front end of the long cut. That way you can apply pressure on a board being pushed either at the toe or heal end of the push stick.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
"JMP Tech Guy" wrote:

Band saw or saber saw.
Lew

I would make the short cut first by setting the blade height to the dimension of the cut and make the cut using the miter gage set at 90 degrees and holding the board vertical. I would make the long cut stopping short leaving the piece intact. I would finish the cut with a hand saw.
Actually, I would make the cut using my bandsaw.

Can you be more specific?

Only if you over-complicate it, as you seem to doing. :-)

Band saw. You're making a push stick, not a piano. The corner does not need to be perfectly square; in fact, the cuts don't need to be perfectly straight or perfectly smooth, either.
Doug Miller wrote:

I agree, I think the OP is too, but I can sympathize. My first jigs were measured to the nearest 1/64th, dead nuts square, planed to simulate a baby's ass and either covered with BLO or gloss white paint.
For some jigs, I still worry about the accuracy, but I've worked myself out of making them look like they were designed, built and finished by Sam Maloof.
To the OP: Keep at it, but before you start something, step back and evaluate how important the accuracy or squarness is before you cut. I'm not advocating being sloppy. I'm just saying spend the time and effort where you really need it.
Tanus
JMP Tech Guy wrote:

A good hand saw is all your need for starters, or forever for that matter.
That said, if you don't have a band saw, then run, don't walk, and buy the best "jigsaw" you can afford.
Bosch is one of the better models out there:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
With an EXCELLENT jig saw and a straight edge (a small speed square is excellent for a straight edge for these type cuts with a jigsaw) you can make cuts like this all day long.
Do NOT buy a B&D jigsaw, do NOT buy a Ryobi jigsaw, do NOT buy any el cheapo jig saw, buy a top-of-the-line jigsaw and it will save you time and money in the long run.
BTW, and IMO, you will find that push block a PITA to hold onto properly ... using that same "shoe" shape, make cutouts like the following and you will find it much easier, and safer, to use:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm
scroll down to "Favorite table saw push stick design"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
JMP Tech Guy wrote:

You could use this instead: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=push+stick
HeyBub wrote:

<shudder>
I *hate* that style of push stick; it makes me feel so out of control. I much prefer something shaped like this:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p0067&cat=1,42207
though mine is a home-brewed jobby made from 1/2" baltic birch plywood.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I didn't even cut mine so I didn't have the angst you have. All I did was glue the needed portion to the bottom.
http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/dobripw/?action=view&current=PushStick.jpg
As you can see I had a little too much time on my hands that day.
Gordon Shumway
Gordon Shumway wrote:

http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/vv290/dobripw/?action=view&current=PushStick.jpg
I love it! It could stand a nice coat of garnet shellacky though. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Thanks for the complement. I know a Steve Turner, actually two of them. Do you live in Illinois and did you recently retire? If yes to both questions I'm pretty sure you're one of the two I know.
Gordon Shumway
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I'm in Austin Texas (Pflugerville, actually) and I'm still workin' for the man...

There's square, and then there's *square*. For the push stick, you just need mostly square. Almost anything that will cut an inside corner will be good enough. Some glue and a few brads or screws will also work.
On 8/22/2009 9:33 PM MikeWhy spake thus:

Brads or screws on a *push stick*?
I don't think so.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Use brass or copper or aluminum.
On 8/23/2009 5:43 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

Well, even those are going to give you a nasty surprise the first time you push them into your blade, though they'll likely not damage it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I should have made it clear that I agree that this is only a push stick and the cut does not need to be dead square, but I was also thinking about similar cuts found in other furniture pieces, which is why I wanted to ask about the best technique for obtaining good accuracy. Your advice would help me with those future cuts.
Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's input on this matter. I'll stick to the basic hand tools for now.
Cheers.