How to Design a stool

Does anyone know what should the foot print size of a stool be in relation to the seat. I.e. If the seat is 9"x18" should I make the legs hit the floor at 11"x20" or more for a height of 36" (approximately)?
: Does anyone know what should the foot print size of a stool be in relation : to the seat. I.e. If the seat is 9"x18" should I make the legs hit the floor : at 11"x20" or more for a height of 36" (approximately)?
I made a Windsor chair whose legs splayed beyond the seat profile.
It eventually was destroyed because we were constantly kicking/tripping on the ends of the legs.
I think that one's eyes base the chair's space on the seat dimensions.
It might be worth adding that an overhang on a stool top is not a good idea since people might be tempted to stand on it and tip it, and themselves over.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:03:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

yeah, I prefer a chair... I have a couple of cheapy auto parts store stools that shop visitors like, and a couple of padded folding chairs for the rare times I sit..
I should probably build a few small a-frame stools, since the favorite perch in the shop for most folks is probably the 2' step ladder... lol