How to cut preformed countertops???

I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.
Thanks,
Tim

It's not clear from your post whether the backsplash and top are one piece or you bought a loose backsplash. Here's some good info: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=609462
There are a lot of places you could go wrong, and you'd then be fussing with chips and belt sanders. Cutting to length when the cut end is up against a wall, and the cut will be covered by the backsplash is easier. Cutting meeting 45s to fit in a corner is a lot tougher, particularly if the splash/top is one piece. The easiest thing to do if you need meeting 45s is to bring the top to a countertop shop that has a beam/travel saw.

It's not clear from your post whether the backsplash and top are one piece or you bought a loose backsplash. Here's some good info: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p `9462
There are a lot of places you could go wrong, and you'd then be fussing with chips and belt sanders. Cutting to length when the cut end is up against a wall, and the cut will be covered by the backsplash is easier. Cutting meeting 45s to fit in a corner is a lot tougher, particularly if the splash/top is one piece. The easiest thing to do if you need meeting 45s is to bring the top to a countertop shop that has a beam/travel saw.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- Related question: does masking tape along the line of cut reduce the odds of chipping?
"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

----------------------------------------------- SFWIW, It's been awhile since I did one of these, but with today's equipment, you should be OK.
I'd still tape the laminate side, cut 1/4" proud with a Fein, then clean up to the line with a router and a straight edge.
If you are fitting to a wall, remember not all walls are straight and/or square.
Have fun.
Lew

In this house, no walls are straight or square. :(

I cut them upside down, use a straightedge, skill saw with a fine tooth blade, with the blade extended all the way so it cuts most of the way "up" the back splash. Doing it this way I need to set up twice to clamp the straight edge for the final cut on the back splash. I have done several counter tops this way and have had good results, no shipping of the Formica. I have never cut a 45 degree this way, just trimming to length. Greg
Greg O wrote:

I do the same just use a good carbide blade in the circular saw, have even used a good blade in a jig saw with a guide. The laminate is pretty tough these days. Are you putting end caps on these counters? If so cut them down proud of where you want them and then get yourself a good rasp with at least 4 different cutting surface and have fun filing them to size after you have installed them of course... I just installed one of those counters from HD they look real good...
One more way is to cut proud by 1/4 then use a belt sander to fit in. I take a washer and card board to make a template. I then run the washer with a pencil in the center and that is my sanding line. I make sure my measurement is correct before sanding.
On 7/23/2010 12:10 AM, Rich wrote:

: :>I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would like :> to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too long :> to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top. :> :> Thanks, :> :> Tim
: I cut them upside down, use a straightedge, skill saw with a fine tooth : blade, with the blade extended all the way so it cuts most of the way "up" : the back splash. Doing it this way I need to set up twice to clamp the : straight edge for the final cut on the back splash. I have done several : counter tops this way and have had good results, no shipping of the Formica. : I have never cut a 45 degree this way, just trimming to length. : Greg
I did the exact same thing. Cutting upward so the teeth of the blade press the laminate into the substrate, instead of pulling it off, is key. I used one of those straightedge clamps, and it worked great.
-- Andy Barss
Here you go: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html
On 7/22/2010 3:31 PM, Tim wrote:

I just put masking tape on both sides and cut from the back and it worked out pretty good. Now, do you know how to cut laminate sheets? That's my next episode.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

wrote in message

Box cutter and snap.

I've heard that a skilsaw was the proper method but I'm a bit uneasy about that. I don't recall the box cutter method. I'm assuming you score from the backside??? I'm going to make several trial runs on some scrap. Usually when I do that, the tests are perfect and then the real deal crumbles into a disaster. <G>
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:57:40 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"

I think Lobby was funnin' the OP. One can't score and snap anything in the shape of an ell.
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

An ell? But yes, score the back and snap
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:20:17 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

What do you call this shape? Are we on the same page here, Lob? http://fwd4.me/Yue
Laminate by itself, without the MDF backing, I'd score the front/top and snap.

Score the _BACK_? And snap to a raggedy laminate edge on the front side? Please put your hands up n' step away from that bottle, sir!
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

He's talking about laminate by itself.

Just tested it on some scrap. You are correct!
SCORE THE FRONT!
In practice you're going to cut over size and trim after you glue it down anyway.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:39:35 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Sheet laminate is not called "preformed countertops" as the subject is titled, Lobby. Somebody screwed up. ;)

Thank you. <giggle>

True, hopefully with a router, but a file does do an OK job manually. Butcha gotta be C A R E F U L !
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

He got the preformed stuff done and moved on.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:45:57 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"

I masked the laminate, flipped the counter over on a carpeted waste top, and used a new skilsaw blade to cut it from the back. I learned a new trick since then: screwing on guides before doing the cut so I could make that transition twixt the counter & splash perfectly smoothly. On my last cut, I did it in two runs, splash first, then counter. It needed only a tiny bit of filing to smooth out and the iron-on edge fit like a champ.
I think I used the 24T blade vs. the 18 for a smoother edge.
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard