How to create a wooden spaceship ???

I want to leave this boring planet soon and I need a spaceship.Unfortunately, I cannot afford expensive metals, so I think a wooden spaceship is enough.
Which kind of wood do you recommend to build a spaceship ???

This is a "solved problem"
Do a google search for: "stage tree" Niven

Hmm. Balsa has a good strength:weight ratio and is fairly easy to shape. On the other hand, some of the manufactured wood products are edible when soaked in water. AppleBoard(tm), for example, when soaked for 15-20 minutes turns into acceptable applesauce. You'll probably want to panel your cabin with wood from the rubber tree. Avoid hemlock for galley and mess use.
-- Morris
I would recommend using at least marine grade bs 1088 certified plywood or maybe aviation grade. Then encapsulate it in epoxy, fibreglass cloth, carbon fiber and kevlar (where applicable). I think using a stitch and glue construction technique you could build a ship that would get you into space.......as they say that the high end plwood is as strong as steel but considerably lighter, but I can't see how a wood based craft would survive the rigours of re-entry...... I mean it would burn up, after all it is wood, right?
Good Luck.
Ground control to Major Tom.
SouthForkSam wrote: snip< I can't see how a wood based craft would survive the rigours of re-entry...... I mean it would
burn up, after all it is wood, right?
Ahh, but the OP doesn't want to come back (OK by me). Perhaps an airless planet or asteroid could provide a less "heated" reentry? Tom

How does it stand up to re-entry?

You do know that oak has been used for heatshield material, yes? Ablates quite well, but single-use only, obviously.
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:30:50 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

Not an issue.
He's not coming back.
Bill

There will be no re-entry and probably not a great deal of standing up, too.
[-8
-- Morris
Particle board at the BORG. There's no water in space to turn the PB to mush.
Dave
Winnie Oakbob wrote:

surely the best wood to use is Plane!
Oldun