How to clog up your Unisaw

I molded a fair amount of wood today on my TS and each time I turned on the TS, I also turned on the DC (the switches are inches apart, as had long ago mounted a DC remote onto the side of the magnetic switch).

Then I walked away from the TS and glanced down at the floor. DOH! The DC hose was hooked up to the router table...it's been that kinda day. I hooked the hose up to the TS and ran the DC but it wouldn't budge the chips. Removed the motor cover. Interesting...wood chips had actually covered the grill on the end of the motor! I had quite a logjam on my hands inside the cabinet. If a mistake can be made, I've either made it, or WILL make it.

Dave

Reply to
David

Sounds like it's time for a Y connector and a few blast gates.

Reply to
Upscale

My cabinet saw (no extraction) can probably hold about 3 bagfuls of the bags I use on the DC.

So where did you think all these chips were going? 8-) If you'd managed to fill the saw up, didn't you think it would be time for emptying the DC ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy, I use a trash can separator, which holds quite a lot. I checked it and wondered why it wasn't nearly full after the molding session.

I seldom empty the DC bag because of having the separator. When I do empty it, that's only because I remove it to knock the dust off the top bag to improve suction. The lower bag doesn't get more than 6" of dust in it by then.

Dave

Andy D> >

Reply to
David

Don't feel bad. I do it all the time. I hate it when I forget to hook up the router table. Chips everywhere! At least the unisaw contains the dust. I just vaccum out the inside when that happens. A real bad day? After forgetting to hook up the router table, I moved it to the jointer. I inadvertantly reversed the hose on the dust seperator can. Straight to the dust collector it went. I figured it out when I looked at my dust collector and thought, hmm, that bag is getting full fast. Duh. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Don't feel bad. I've done worse with dust collection.

Since my walls are covered with lumber racks, external wiring in metel pipe, shelves, or something, I used to run a long hose from my dust collector directly to the tool. I had a remote to turn the dust collector on and off. That is, until I accidentally sucked it down my unifense and into the dust collector. because of the length of hose, I had a good 5 seconds to wait for the sound of the remote being smashed by the impeller. Time enough to thing "how stupid".

So after buying a replacement remote, a few weeks later I left it in my jeans - which my helpful wife washed for me. We're on remote number three. This one is on a lanyard that is attached to the shop apron. So far, so good.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

"B Man" wrote in news:8epte.1145$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Be especially careful at the lathe, Brian. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

For sure. Douibt the lathe would give you enough time to say "Oh, sh**!"

How about attaching it to a 12" length of dowel painted safety yellow? Slip it into your hip pocket with the remote hanging free behind you. Even a semi-comatose helpful wife will spot that before it hits the Maytag

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused
2 of my four remotes have a permanent home: one is attached to the table alignment pin at the BS, and the other is attached to the side of the magnetic switch of the TS. One sits on the bench near the shop vac, and the final one sits across the shop at the router table. I used to keep them overhead but after whacking the hell out of them a few times, decided that probably wasn't the safest place for them.

Dave

B Man wrote:

Reply to
David

Get a cyclone. You can find all sorts of things sitting happily on the dust pile in the bottom of the cyclone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley