HOW TO CLEAN: Vinyl Coated Shelving; Help Wanted

Cannot get rid of that sticky feeling on some VC Shelving in a house I'm fixing up.
Wound up buying new
But thought to ask in case ANYONE had a sure-fire cleaning tip for the stuff.
NORM

soapy water and a sponge? mix in some elbow grease.

The tacky VC wire shelving is probably rather old. To my knowledge it has all been superceded by epoxy painted shelving. Your clean up time is probably worth more than replacement with the newer variety which will not turn tacky. Joe G